940 IGNITION LIGHTS

• flightsimer
  • 1992 Volvo 940

I have a Volvo 940 1992, the problem is the ignition lights do not always come on. When I insert the key and turn it nothing but the seatbelt warning light comes on in the dash. The car starts OK and after driving it for maybe twenty minutes and test it, the lights usually come on. Also, sometimes the lights come on at startup, but after a while when I pull on the handbrake, nothing. This all started one year when the battery went flat, I removed the battery and charged it up, ten minutes after starting the car the handbrake light came on (the car was stationary) all worked ok until again last winter then battery died. In May this year the car started no bother, I drove to the petrol station, filled up then tried to start but no joy, the battery was totally flat. This happen yesterday on the motorway, it just stopped dead, again battery was dead. I found a few wires coming from the positive battery terminal with two fuses on them, I replaced these and the connectors as they were badly weathered, the ignition lights all came on again, but today the lights are off again.
When driving, if the ignition lights are not functioning, the wipers are slow and the electric windows are slow. I have switched on the headlights and rev'd the engine, the lights remain steady, someone told me that if they dipped and rose then it meant the battery was not charging. I totally baffled, any help would be good.

Thursday, August 25th, 2011 AT 1:12 PM

• Docfixit

Suspect faulty ignition switch. Does charge light come on with key in on position? What happens if key is wiggled? Also have ALTERNATOR tested

Thursday, August 25th, 2011 AT 6:20 PM
  • flightsimer

When the lights all work, no the battery charge light does not come on when driving, just when I turn on the ignition and start the engine, once started, all lights turn off as normal.

Thursday, August 25th, 2011 AT 6:43 PM
  • Docfixit

Have ALT tested

Thursday, August 25th, 2011 AT 7:37 PM
  • flightsimer

OK I went out tonight and tried again, no lights, so I wiggled the ignition key, no luck there, so I gave the plastic cover that goes over the steering column a bang, sll lights came on. So I took the plastic cover off and checked, pulled, banged all the wires, wiggled the ignition switch but the lights all stayed on as normal. Turned the car engine off completely, switched on, all lights are on, replaced cover and banged it many times, the lights remain on. So I took her out for a spin and all is fine again. Don't know now what else it could be, the battery is charged up again so does that mean the alt is OK?

Thursday, August 25th, 2011 AT 7:55 PM
  • Docfixit

Ignition switch faulty and when it acts up the ALT does not charge. Banging on collumn confirms open in switch contacts

Thursday, August 25th, 2011 AT 7:58 PM
  • flightsimer

Ok so do I just replace the Ignition switch?

Thursday, August 25th, 2011 AT 11:05 PM
  • Docfixit

That's what I would do or live with it

Friday, August 26th, 2011 AT 1:26 PM
  • flightsimer

Found one on ebay, new 24

Friday, August 26th, 2011 AT 4:20 PM
  • Docfixit

Good keep me posted

Friday, August 26th, 2011 AT 4:26 PM
  • flightsimer

Will do, it should be here on Monday.

Saturday, August 27th, 2011 AT 7:26 AM