CAR WON'T SHIFT GEARS

1992 Toyota Tercel

frustratedneedhelp

April, 17, 2011 AT 4:43 AM

My manual tercel would not shift into gears when running. I replaced the clutch and it still the same. If you jack the car off the ground it shifts fine even when running. I noticed fluid leaking from where the shift cable connects to the tranny when I had it off. It looks like there is a fill plug there. I checked that and it looks dry in there. When car is jack up, it looks like shift cable shifts fine. With the car on the ground, it looks like the shift cable doesn't want to shift. Is there suppose to be fluid in there where the cable connects to the tranny? If there is, what fluid should I add?

April, 17, 2011 AT 5:20 AM

Before removal of the transmsiision, you should have drained the transmission gear oil. Did you refill the gear oil after the work.

Transmission oil used is SAE 75W-90 or 80W-90. Fill it up till it is overflows out of the filler hole. Ensure vehicle is level while refilling.

Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement