1992 TOYOTA CAMRY OVERHEATING/SHAKING

• Michellealcantar1
  • 1992 Toyota Camry

So my check engine light came on a few weeks ago. At first you could not really tell why because the car was running the way it always does. Then a few days a go I went to the store and I started to hear a clicking sound when I would push the gas. I pulled up to a red light the car shut off. So I put it in park turned the key off and when I tried to turn it back on it gave me a hard time but turned on. I started to go again but I could still hear the clicking sound. I drove maybe a quarter of a mile and the car shut off again but would not turn back on. I let cool down my boyfriend came and put water and drove home. So now I have to fill the radiator and the water tank with water if I want to go anywhere. But today I did that and the car was shaking as I drove. I checked my engine oil and the oil is not cloudy and I dont see the car leaking anything. I did just replace the radiator because it cracked on me a few months ago in the cooler weather. But I just have no idea what it could be and can't afford to go to a shop right now. Any suggestions?

Saturday, June 22nd, 2013 AT 1:50 PM

• KHLow2008

For the Check Engine Light showing, you need to find out what is causing it and the link below explains hw to go about retrieving the touble code.

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/toyota-trouble-code-definitions-and-code-gathering-method-1990-1995

The shaking and ovrheating seems to be bad news, you could have damaged the head gasket. Needing to top up coolant all the time means either a badn head gasket or a leakage somewhere.

Sunday, June 23rd, 2013 AT 11:09 AM
  • Michellealcantar1

Well my car wouldn't start this morning I did start the car by pushing the gas but maybe ten minutes later the car locked on me and once again it won't start. If I have a bad head gallery is it even worth fixing the car? Like if I fix it do you think my cart will run?

Sunday, June 23rd, 2013 AT 7:34 PM
  • KHLow2008

If it is a bad head gasket, it is a rather costly job. Worth it or not, you have to decide yourself.
It should run after being fixed.

Monday, June 24th, 2013 AT 9:57 AM