I HAVE A 92 FIREBIRD THAT HAS RECENTLY BEEN ...

• fluidx19
  • 1992 Pontiac Firebird

I have a 92 firebird that has recently been shooting out fire out of the cadilac converter the muffler fell off about a year ago and ive been just to strapped for cash to get a new one put on I recently put an elbow pipe on it about 2 months ago to die down the sound. It did not start spitting out fire however until I changed all the spark plugs and spark plug wires. When I did drive it the temperature would go all the way up the slowly go back down as I drove it. Also the car does not idle on its own and its leaking antifreeze by the passanger tire. This is my everyday car and I could really use some advice on where to start please help thanks!

Monday, December 17th, 2012 AT 8:19 PM

• JDL

How long since a tune-up? Any applicable mil codes? Sounds like you may need to replace cat--muffler and exhaust. Believe me, I understand money issues. Have the same problem myself. I can't reccommend anything that isn't a factory set-up. 02 sensors are part of a tune-up. What is engine litre size?

You can check mil codes, yourself.

Monday, December 17th, 2012 AT 9:22 PM
  • fluidx19

Its a 3.1liter and as far as the tune up goes I just changed the spark plugs and wires I had a buddy tell me ive probably got a clog in my cadilac converter and that I should just straight pipe it. Which might also fix the idle problem so im gonna try that first

Tuesday, December 18th, 2012 AT 4:15 AM
  • JDL

Good luck.

Tuesday, December 18th, 2012 AT 2:32 PM