I NEED HELP PLEASE

1992 Ford Ranger

rkawamoto

September, 6, 2012 AT 8:37 PM

I have a 1992 ford ranger the motor keeps dieing for no apparent reason it will not start back up until I turn the ignition all the way off then crank and it will start it seems if I push the ignition firmly into the column it doesnt appear to stall as much but that could be my imagination do you know what could cause this problem

saturntech9

September, 6, 2012 AT 9:45 PM

What if you gently move the key around while its running will it die?

rkawamoto

September, 6, 2012 AT 10:54 PM

Nope

rkawamoto

September, 6, 2012 AT 10:59 PM

The problem seemed to get worse like it just didnt happen it would happen once in a while an now the only way I can drive it is to have my hand on the key all the time an wen it dies I just turn it off an then back on

saturntech9

September, 6, 2012 AT 11:00 PM

Could. Be a bad ignition switch or another issue. Do you have any codes?

saturntech9

September, 6, 2012 AT 11:02 PM

No that sounds like a bad ignition switch.

rkawamoto

September, 6, 2012 AT 11:48 PM

Meaning the part that I put the key in or the electrical thing thats down on the column that the rod goes into from the keyed part

saturntech9

September, 7, 2012 AT 12:02 AM

Your going to. Have to look and see if its the switch or linkage.

rkawamoto

September, 7, 2012 AT 12:22 AM

What I meant was is it the key tumbler thing or is it the electronic switch thing that the rod goes into that is mounted on the col8umn

saturntech9

September, 7, 2012 AT 12:33 AM

Your going to have see which it is I can't tell because I can't see what's going. On
I would suspect the switch.

rkawamoto

September, 7, 2012 AT 3:28 AM

I went and bought the electronic switch and that didnt help it does the same thing was testing it with the electronic part just hanging there using a screw driver dont really know if the key part of the ignition could cause it to do that or not but one thing with in the last month ive been able to start my truck without the keys in it just by turning the little levers they have that u put the keys into I just dont know what to think

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Pressure Test