MY TRUCK IS CARBURETED AND HAS BEEN RUNNING VERY...

1992 Chevrolet S-10

Marshall Mosley

December, 23, 2012 AT 9:17 PM

My truck is carbureted and has been running very rough, so I have to baby the gas pedal to get it to go or it will bog down. I have to do the same when im at stop lights or it will shut off. Sometimes it will act normal. I have changed the fuel filter and an O2 sensor. This has been going on for months now. Doesn't get any better or worse. Sometimes after I have been driving for a considerable distance and I shut it off for a few minutes and then start up to go again, I have to bay the gas again to get it up to higher rpms, I smell a very strong gas odor. Every now and then when im to impatient and it will not start and I have to wait 15 to 20 minutes, I put a few ounces of gas in the carb which always does the trick. With all of that being said, is their a small pump on the top area of the carb that could problem or are their going to be 15 other solutions that it could be and I just have to go down the line til I fix it. There it is I'm all done bitching, so. Any solutions or suggestions?

December, 23, 2012 AT 9:20 PM

Just one, the carb needs to be overhauled.

Marshall Mosley

December, 23, 2012 AT 9:26 PM

Would a carb repair kit do the trick and is it fairly easy. I am mechanically inclined and have done my share Saturday shade tree mechanic projects, and I have a basic set of tools. I am by far not a mechanic but can do most things if I know wht the problem is.

December, 23, 2012 AT 10:20 PM

Yep, a kit with a float.

Disassemble completely, clean with cleaner, blow out all passages, after assembling it, the dwell must be set with a scan tool. You may need a shop to set that for you.

Marshall Mosley

December, 24, 2012 AT 7:23 PM

Thanks for the info.I will update when complete. Merry CHRISTmas Roy

M_H_RITZEL

December, 25, 2012 AT 4:07 PM

You can try Carb cleaner, sometimes that works. What happens at times is that some carbon will build up and clog the little ports. Just a little carbon will clog air nozzles.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Honda Element
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Honda Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement Ford Explorer
Engine Oil Change and Filter Toyota Tundra
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front Ford