NEED TO KNOW THE TECHNICAL NAME FOR THE BUSHING

1992 Chevrolet Caprice

mikederouin88

June, 29, 2012 AT 5:24 AM

That joins the steering column to the gear box so I can order one. Hey guys I have a general knowledge question on a 1992 Chevy caprice there is a dampner or bushing that goes at the bottom end of the steering column where it joins the top of the gear box. I belive its purpose is to keep the two knuckles from binding together. I am a 10 year ASE certified mechanic an I have no idea what you call that piece so I can order one. Thank you so much for any help you can give.

saturntech9

June, 29, 2012 AT 5:49 AM

I would call it a steering coupler or intermediate shaft.

mikederouin88

June, 29, 2012 AT 6:22 AM

Are you familiar with the piece I'm talking about? I have seen it a thousand times bit never replaced one. If so maybe you could help verify my diagnoses.

saturntech9

June, 29, 2012 AT 6:26 AM

Your talking about the joint that connects the steering column to the steering box?

mikederouin88

June, 29, 2012 AT 6:46 AM

Yes under the plastic cover that clamps to the pressure line. The knuckles for the column and gear box are oppositely positioned and the "bushing" I believe is there to prevent them from locking together.

mikederouin88

June, 29, 2012 AT 7:18 AM

I finally found it! On dormans web site, its not a vehicle specific part it universal. It's called a steering coupling disk kit. Thanks a million I would have never found it without your help. The word coupler was all I needed !

saturntech9

June, 29, 2012 AT 3:43 PM

Your welcome thats what were here.

Replace Your Turn Signal Switch Like a Pro
Power Steering Fluid Change Kia Sportage
Power Steering Fluid Flush Chevrolet Blazer