I WAS WONDERING IF THEIR IS A WAY TO REBUILD AN...

1992 Cadillac Deville

sean03

March, 7, 2013 AT 6:24 PM

Hi I was wondering if their is a way to rebuild an inner tie rod. I bought new inner tie rods and outer. But with the old inner tie rod I was wondering if their is a way to rebuild them. Thanks.

Inner Tie Rod

1 ANSWER

Tie Rods

1 ANSWER

Randico

March, 7, 2013 AT 7:29 PM

No you cant you need a great big machine, plus old inner tie rods make good freeze plug tools

caradiodoc

March, 7, 2013 AT 7:42 PM

Nope. There were some designs on import cars in the '70s or '80s that had an adjustable inner bushing. You had to unscrew it from the rack, then go inside and turn the round plate with a 1/4" ratchet and extension. Then you used a fish scale to measure the force needed to move the threaded end.

Those days are gone. When that part gets sloppy, it's because the nylon insert has worn away. Once that occurs, the hammering action from hitting bumps in the road pound on the metal housing and deform it. As the wear gets worse, additional wear occurs even faster.

New tie rod ends are cheap so there's no need to try to rebuild one.

sean03

March, 7, 2013 AT 7:45 PM

Ok thanks. I paid for the two inner and two outer tie rods. I spent like 64.00 total so I guess I got a good deal.

Replace Tie Rod End
Steering Intermediate Shafts Replacement
Power Steering Fluid Flush Chevrolet Blazer
Power Steering Fluid Check Acura TSX
Power Steering Box Replacement Chevy Tahoe