CAN ANYONE HELP WITH A STALLING/RUNNING PROBLEM?

1992 Buick Century

ironlace

November, 2, 2011 AT 5:20 PM

My 92 Buick was running great when we stopped driving it because we had other vehicles. It has been about 18 months since it has been driven except to move it to a different area of the yard. We decided to sell it and drove it to the gas station to put some gas in and it did fine on the way there, gas was very very low in the tank. Additive was added to the tank at the station to hopefully clean up any old gas left in it. When driving home it started kicking and sputtering and finally died. Towed it back to the house, replaced the fuel filter and a couple of rotted vacuum lines but it will not stay running more than about a minute. It is acting like a vapor lock, meaning it's acting like it's not getting gas all of a sudden. Any suggestions?

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

Jacobandnickolas

November, 2, 2011 AT 5:46 PM

If you used an additive, I hope you had the necessary amount of gas to mix it in. That can cause problems. Next, check fuel pump pressure. Based on your description, it sounds like it is running out of gas. You may have a bad fuel pump.

ironlace

November, 2, 2011 AT 6:33 PM

Tank was almost filled before additive used. Fuel pump was tested after it was towed home when new fuel filter was put on and it is pumping. Because it ran fine on the way to the gas station, I'm afraid it has something to do with stirring up old gas/sediment from the gas tank because it sat unused for so long. It will start right up, but then give symptoms like it isn't getting gas or has a vapor lock somewhere, then it dies.