NO START DON'T HAVE POWER TO FUSE

1992 BMW 525i

melissanng4

December, 25, 2010 AT 11:18 PM

1992 525i will crank but not start. Power from the DME relay but low power going to fuel pump relay; and no power to fuse. Is this an alarm issue?

Dr. Hagerty

January, 11, 2011 AT 12:17 AM

Sorry about the delay in response, new site de-bugging is what it is. As to your question, the possibility that there is intervention from the OBC or drive away protection could keep the DME from allowing spark to happen or the fuel pump to run. What events preceded this no start condition?

melissanng4

Thanks Dr. Hagerty for geting back to me. It started out with the trans program light coming on, but the car shifted fine and even the selector switch would still work. I drove it like this for about 2wks. Then I started my car, on a cold night and it stalled. Started it again and stalled. Then I got it to stay running, running rough though and proceeded home. It kept wanting to cut out if I let off the gas and the engine light would flash, but not stay on. I made it home and tried to start it, no start. I have power @ the relays and I jumpered power to the pump fuse, pump runs but no start. I hope this helps and thanks again for any help you can give me.

Dr. Hagerty

OK, lets go with the basic stuff to begin with. The fuel pump runs and makes pressure, you need to check that it indeed does make pressure. There is spark, pull a coil and confirm that this is so. There is an injector signal, pull the connectors off the injectors and check for power and that the DME is bringing the other side to ground, it should flash a noid light (or a 5 watt side marker bulb, it's cheap and you can borrow one right off the car) If it does not do all of those things, let me know and we can proceed.

melissanng4

February, 28, 2011 AT 12:35 AM

Hello again. I finally got back to working on the 525i, due to a host of time issues. Anyway, I have fuel pressure, when it's jumpered.I changed the crank sensor, still no power to the fuel pump fuse. Also, no injector signal. I noticed a drycracked/burnt wire, assuming it's a gound at the front of the head, just under the removing hoop? Could this be a ground issue? Cam sensor? I'm lost and need your help. Thanks

Dr. Hagerty

February, 28, 2011 AT 7:02 AM

I cant tell what you are looking at by the descripton. It does sound as if you have the problem identified.

melissanng4

March, 5, 2011 AT 12:06 PM

Good news, my bmw is running again! After I installed the crank sensor, I never thought about resetting the computer and since the battery voltage was too low for it to take in the new info, it didn't start. I unhooked the ground of the battery and charged it, which was long enough to reset the computer. With a fully charged battery, turned the key, didn't hear the pump kick on and got worried. I turned it to start and it fired right up, ran a bit rough @ first, but cleared up. I've put about 300 miles on it since: ) Great to have it back! The trans program light is still on, shifts just fine though. Can I reset that or is this a dealer issue? Thanks Dr. Hagerty for all the help!

Dr. Hagerty

March, 6, 2011 AT 9:10 PM

The trans light is a different issue. It may require rechipping the EGS module.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Pressure Test