I JUST REPLACED MY TIMING CHAIN COVER SPROCKETS ...

1991 Toyota Pickup

kobyessex

November, 14, 2012 AT 10:16 PM

I just replaced my timing chain cover, sprockets, guides, and tensioner in my truck with a 22RE. When I started my engine up after the work was complete, there was a terrible noise coming from my engine, so I took my valve cover off and saw the the gear that drives the oil pump was beaten up and had horizontal lines that looked like the gears from the oil pump had spun on it, even though that's not possible. Any ideas?

November, 15, 2012 AT 6:59 PM

Crossed configuration helical gears can result in such problems when there is wear or exessive side play. Did you check the oil pump to see if it is seized?

kobyessex

November, 20, 2012 AT 6:05 PM

Oil pump works good and I'm pretty sure that the helical gears were not crossed. I heard something about these motors having tolerance spacing between the lower timing sprocket and the oil pump drive gear. Any feedback?

November, 21, 2012 AT 10:19 AM

You were able to see the oil pump gear from the valve cover? I believe that is the distributor drive gear at camshaft.

Oil pump is at crankshaft and uses splines for the gear hubs.

Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Serpentine Belt Replacement