I AM FINISHING DOING MY TIMING CHAIN

1985 Toyota Pickup

PCMentor29

March, 28, 2013 AT 1:21 AM

I am finishing doing my timing chain. Do I put grey silicone on the block side of the gasket only or both sides? What's the best way to get a good seal on the exposed edge of the oil pan and underside of the head when putting on timing cover? This is on a 22RE FI engine. Also I bought a cheap tap and die set to chase the holes. Should I chase them with just a bolt or are cheap sets good enough to do a good job? I noticed on the dies 10mmx1.25 the die only goes half way on finger tight. Is ths normal or should you be able to turn the dies(and taps) by finger all the way as long as no imperfections? Thanks

March, 28, 2013 AT 2:15 AM

Sealer on block side

run the tap in the holes and clean them up.

Should go in further by hand

roy

PCMentor29

March, 28, 2013 AT 7:01 AM

Thanks, so there's no need for sealer on both sides of the fiber gasket. Should I just put sealer on the timing cover side of the gasket for the Water Pump as well? Or both sides for the Water pump?

My bolts ar 8 mmx1.25 and 10mmx1.25. What's a way to test the taps to verify they are not marked wrong? I will test run on some nuts maybe.

Any tips on sealing the top and bottom of the timing cover? Just put a lot of sealer?

Thanks, Pete

March, 28, 2013 AT 10:39 AM

Do not use a lot of sealer just a small bead. Once again, use only on the block side.

Taps are not marked wrong. Try using in a hole that is good to verify the tap.

PCMentor29

March, 29, 2013 AT 2:27 AM

The water pump is mounted on the timing cover. Where do I use sealant on it.

PCMentor29

April, 1, 2013 AT 6:06 AM

The taps take just a small amount of pressure in an 8 and 10 nut so I will use them. Do I put the water pump on with both the wp and the timing cover having sealant or just one side, the TC or the WP?

Crankshaft Main Seal Replace - Front
Engine Oil Change and Filter Honda CR-V
Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Tahoe 2015
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chrysler 300
Engine Oil Change and Filter Saturn Vue