TRANSMISSION FLUID IN FRONT DIFFERENTIAL?

1991 Subaru Legacy

mistakenmenace

June, 25, 2012 AT 4:46 AM

I accidentally put transmission fluid into my front differential. I plan to drain it and replace it in the morning. Can this cause any damage?

caradiodoc

June, 25, 2012 AT 7:09 AM

Doubtful. Do you have an automatic or manual transmission? Most differentials are part of front-wheel-drive transmissions but you most likely have all-wheel-drive. Is that the case with yours?

mistakenmenace

June, 25, 2012 AT 7:10 AM

Yes it is.

mistakenmenace

June, 25, 2012 AT 7:10 AM

Also its automatic.

mistakenmenace

June, 25, 2012 AT 7:12 AM

I know that there is different housings for both front and rear wheel drive. I just couldnt find an answer anywhere if it could hurt the car to have the transmission fluid in there.

caradiodoc

June, 25, 2012 AT 7:49 AM

Transmission fluid isn't going to hurt anything in a differential but you don't want to leave it in there if that's not what it came with. It has different lubricating properties. Similar gears are used in manual transmissions and many of those come with automatic transmission fluid instead of gear lube. I have an '80 Plymouth Volare that came with ATF in a manual transmission.

Front-wheel-drive cars share the same fluid between the automatic transmission and differential so that will tell you there's nothing to worry about with your car.

mistakenmenace

June, 25, 2012 AT 7:51 AM

Thank you! Much appreciated! =D

Differential Fluid Service - Front
Differential Fluid Level Check
Axle Seal Replacement
Differential Fluid Service Chevrolet 2500HD
Axle Bearing, Seal, E-Brake Shoes, Brake Pads
Differential Fluid Change Ford F250