WHERE IS CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR ON

1991 Pontiac Transport

mark78

March, 20, 2012 AT 12:47 AM

My daughters 1991 transport 3.1 liter. Couple months ago ignition control module went bad and replaced. Worked for 2 months and suddenly died again. Engine cranks but won't start. Checked ignition control module and its ok. Coil checks out ok but no spark to spark plugs or distributor, and no fuel to throttle body. Didn't try starting fluid since no spark. But now that I think of it, I wasn't getting fuel when ignition control module went bad either. Van is an hour and half away at university. Thinking it's crankshaft or camshaft sensor? Not sure how to pinpoint or where these sensors are. Thanks mark

March, 20, 2012 AT 1:09 AM

You don't have the CMH and CPS sensors-check and test the distributor pick-up coil-start here

mark78

March, 20, 2012 AT 2:12 PM

Would u guide me on testing distributor pick-up coil. I'm not finding and info in books or on line. Thank you

djcl

March, 22, 2012 AT 1:47 AM

To test the dist pick up coil remove the distributor cap and rotor. There will be 2 wires going in to the controle module from the pick up coil remove them from the module conect the to wire connecter to an ac voltage meter crank engine there should be a low ac voltare reading some where around 200 to 400 mv. There should be an ohm reading to not shore of the speck, a scope would be the best way to check this sig. Let me know if you need more help

djcl

March, 22, 2012 AT 1:50 AM

Hear is a better one

djcl

March, 22, 2012 AT 1:56 AM

I have the pick up coil ohm sprck its 500 to 1500 ohms

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz