1991 Plymouth Acclaim Won't Start

MISSMAC_33
  • 1991 PLYMOUTH ACCLAIM
My acclaim recently stopped starting for me. When the key is turned to on I don't hear the fuel pump kick on, but the very first try to start it the vehicle starts up but won't stay started, and then after that try it will turn over but not start. Does this mean my fuel pump needs to be replaced or something simple I'm missing?
Friday, February 4th, 2011 AT 3:52 PM

How long since a tune-up? Any applicable mil codes? You can check those codes yourself. If cranks good but won't start, have a helper crank it while you visually check for spark at the plugs, if you have spark everywhere, use a gage and check fuel pressure.

To check for codes, you turn the key till the dash lites come on, no further. You cycle the key, on--off, on--off, on, then the mil starts flashing, you count the flashes to get the codes. Your looking for two digit codes.
Friday, February 4th, 2011 AT 4:28 PM
MISSMAC_33
Well the code I got was 41 and 55. I called an auto store and they told me it means I have a charging issue, most likely with my asd relay.
Friday, February 4th, 2011 AT 6:21 PM
Did you visually check for spark at the plugs? Engine cranking, anything? If the battery has a full charge and the vehicle is cranking ok, I'm not worried about the charging system, at the moment.

If the computer doesn't see an rpm signal it may not ground the asd relay. I, d look for rpm signal first.

To visually check for spark at the plugs, take spark plug wire loose from spark plug, use known good spark plug or spark tester in boot, ground metal part of tester to metal part of engine, watch for spark, engine cranking. Let us know.
Friday, February 4th, 2011 AT 6:37 PM
MISSMAC_33
Yes I visually check the spark plugs and there is spark. The engine cranks and fires onces but wont fire again and just cranks. How would I look for an rpm signal?
Friday, February 4th, 2011 AT 6:40 PM
MISSMAC_33
I don't have an rpm meter so I'm not sure how I'm supposed to get an rpm signal. And the other thing I notice when trying to start it is that the battery seems to drain after the first time. It starts out with enough battery after sitting for a night.
Friday, February 4th, 2011 AT 6:57 PM
You have to use a scanner that shows live engine data. If there is no spark or only one and no fuel injector pulse, then I suspect the computer either doesn't see an rpm sinal or isn't reacting to it. There is a hall switch in the distributor, that's where the rpm signal comes from. It could be several issues, hard to be sure without testing.
Friday, February 4th, 2011 AT 7:11 PM
You may have to take the battery off and get it charged.
Friday, February 4th, 2011 AT 7:14 PM
MISSMAC_33
What exactly is an asd relay and what does it do?
Friday, February 4th, 2011 AT 7:17 PM
Without proper test instruments and the fact that I can't see your vehicle from here, it makes it harder. You can test for ref voltage--ground and signal from hall switch. Without at least a digital multimeter, it's hard to do anything.
Friday, February 4th, 2011 AT 7:19 PM
MISSMAC_33
Okay. But what is an asd relay and what does it do?
Friday, February 4th, 2011 AT 7:21 PM
If your battery is down, we're just spinning our wheels. The asd relay supplies primary voltage to the ignition coil-- voltage to the fuel injector-- voltage to the 02 heater circuit-- voltage to the fuel pump, according to my info. If you want to replace the relay, that is up to you. You may get lucky?
Friday, February 4th, 2011 AT 7:29 PM
Just to add, if there is more than one relay in the relay pack, look at them, if they are the same as asd relay, swap that relay, see if it helps?
Friday, February 4th, 2011 AT 7:53 PM
MISSMAC_33
I gotcha. Well I replaced it with my a/c relay and now I hear the fuel pump but only after trying to start the car. I am charging the battery to see if it will start with a full charge but otherwise I'm out of ideas.
Friday, February 4th, 2011 AT 7:54 PM
Below is the location of asd relay.
Friday, February 4th, 2011 AT 7:58 PM
MISSMAC_33
Well the battery charged fully and I tried to start it but still not working. The battery went from 100-0 after starting it. Like I said before, I switched out the asd relay with another and immediately after trying to start the car I hear the fuel pump but not before.
Friday, February 4th, 2011 AT 9:06 PM
Most batteries have a reserve in minutes. If the reserve is 60 minutes, the vehicle should start and run for about an hour even with faulty charging system. How long it will run depends on the discharge rate. Sounds to me like a faulty battery. Some of the national brand autostores will check the battery for you. I've driven vehicles where I knew the charging system wasn't working, after I got it started, I drove it for several minutes on the battery reserve power.
Friday, February 4th, 2011 AT 9:20 PM
If the battery checks out and the vehicle cranks good, but won't start, I suspect the hall switch in the distributor.
Saturday, February 5th, 2011 AT 2:38 PM
MISSMAC_33
You know its funny, it was the first thing I thought it could be but didn't try to fix. It was frozen. It started this morning and the fuel pump works. THanks for all your help.
Saturday, February 5th, 2011 AT 2:47 PM
Glad you got it going your way.
Saturday, February 5th, 2011 AT 4:01 PM