REAR DRUM BRAKES

1991 Chevrolet Venture

Kale

May, 27, 2011 AT 8:09 PM

1994 gmc vandura van, how do I adjust the rear drum brakes? I know how to use the adjuster tool I guess what im asking is what is the clearence for the adjustment I want to say it's.006th?

Rear Drum Getting Hot

Wrenchtech

May, 27, 2011 AT 11:23 PM

Clearance? What are you measuring and how do you expect to do that? You're basically just tightening them until they drag a little.

Kale

May, 27, 2011 AT 11:49 PM

I know to adjust to it drags, I was asking if there is a clearence that you use a filler gauge just like you do on a Mitsubushi FM the clearens is.006th and you ch it through the inspection hole.

Wrenchtech

May, 27, 2011 AT 11:56 PM

Most vehicles don't have inspection holes. It's a self adjusting system so all you need is a starting point.

caradiodoc

May, 28, 2011 AT 12:02 AM

Never heard of using a feeler gauge for the brakes on any car. Once you have a slight drag, or even close, the self adjusters will take care of themselves after that. Once the linings begin to wear, you can expect to have lining-to-pad clearance in the area of sixteenths of an inch before the adjusters take another bite, not thousandths of an inch. You'll never notice that in the brake pedal. Just get those babies close and call it good.

Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Ford Escape
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement Ford