NOISES COMING FROM FRONT BRAKE DRIVER SIDE WHEN THE WHEEL MOVING

1998 Chevrolet Venture

monuraz81

October, 7, 2011 AT 1:44 AM

At first I was thinking the noises are coming from the worn brake pad. So, I had changed it with the brand new one. However, the noises still there and I had tear the part down, clean it up and re-install it again, but problem still unresolved. Noticed that there is some grinding mark on the brake pad clip cause by the rotor (I believe the noises was coming from here). Is this sign of bad/ warped rotor (I dont feel vibration during braking anyway)? Could it because of bad wheel bearing? The noise will disappear for a while if I stop at a junction, put on my parking brake and release it.

Here is what the sound like, identical to the noise explained above, but not sure if we have the same problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSrJU8rt5fE

rivermikerat

October, 7, 2011 AT 2:18 AM

That rotor does look like it has some runout in it. Yes, a bad bearing can sound like worn brake pads.

monuraz81

October, 7, 2011 AT 2:41 AM

Can a bad bearing cause the rotor touching the brake pad clip?

rivermikerat

October, 7, 2011 AT 4:21 AM

I'm sure I understand what you mean by brake pad clip. The first picture below is of the front pads on a 98 Venture. The parts above the pads are anti-rattle shims. The second picture is of the pads being removed from the caliper. The clip secures the outer pad to the caliper.

Brake Pads/Rotor Replacement Chevy Silverado
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Ford Escape
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front Ford
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front Ford
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement Ford Explorer