Starting problem

ROCKYMTNSPOT
  • 1991 CHEVROLET TRUCK

1991 chevy 3500 w/ 454. Intermittant problem starting. No spark or fuel. I have replaced ecu, ignition module, cap rotor, coil wires and plugs. Fuel filter and relay.

Wednesday, February 9th, 2011 AT 5:29 PM

Did check primary voltage at the coil, pink wire, goes hot with the key on. Any voltage? Any applicable trouble codes? The pick-up coil sends a signal through the ignition module to the computer, without that signal, no spark or injector pulse.

Wednesday, February 9th, 2011 AT 5:37 PM
ROCKYMTNSPOT

I replaced coil already. Do not know how to check for pulse. This problem is wierd. All of the sudden it will start and run for 2 to 5 weeks, then just not start.

Wednesday, February 9th, 2011 AT 6:03 PM
ROCKYMTNSPOT

I am going to check for codes now

+1
Wednesday, February 9th, 2011 AT 6:04 PM

Did you check for voltage on the pink wire, key on. Which coil did you replace? I don't believe you can replace pickup coil with removing distributor?

+1
Wednesday, February 9th, 2011 AT 6:15 PM
ROCKYMTNSPOT

I just checked for codes. There were no codes thrown.

Can you answer my questions about the pick-up coil and pink wire?

Wednesday, February 9th, 2011 AT 6:17 PM
ROCKYMTNSPOT

I replaced the coil that is outside of distributer. Where the coil wire goes.

Wednesday, February 9th, 2011 AT 6:19 PM

How about the pink, use a voltmeter, should be hot/voltage with the key on.

Wednesday, February 9th, 2011 AT 6:31 PM
ROCKYMTNSPOT

I dont have voltmeter. I have TBI with 2 injectors. One injector has a red and blue wire and the other injector has a green and white wire. I used a simple test light and checked the red wire and it lit up with the ingnition turned on.

Wednesday, February 9th, 2011 AT 7:03 PM

You said you have no spark. Without at least a voltmeter or testlite, it's hard to do any testing.

Wednesday, February 9th, 2011 AT 7:23 PM
ROCKYMTNSPOT

I just checked the pink wire coming out of the ignition module. My testlite did not light up with ignition ON

Wednesday, February 9th, 2011 AT 7:36 PM

Then check feed to and from ignition switch. The pink wire to ignition coil is in the diagram, the feed comes from the ignition switch.

Follow pink wire under the hood, see if goes to an electrical connector, check voltage on both side of connector, key on. Might be a problem with ignition switch or wiring circuit?

Wednesday, February 9th, 2011 AT 8:01 PM
STUCKON50S

Can be one of two things, most likely is a failing cam sensor which is located under the plate in the distributor. It is much easier to replace the distributor for $100, than to press off the drive gear and dismantle the distributor to replace it ( I'm a tightwad, and will never attempt that again ). It will work one day, and just not work the next. The other possibility is a failing computer, which is about the same price, but usually just fails, non intermittent. It is located behind the glove box. If I were you, I would clean all the contacts on the wires inside and outside the distributor first ( there is a 2 prong plug on the outside, and a four prong on the inside )

+1
Thursday, May 5th, 2016 AT 7:11 AM

Related Engine Not Starting Content

Engine Will Not Start
VIDEO

Recommended guides