1991 Chevrolet S-10 stalling out, sputtering

JCROUCH18
  • 1991 CHEVROLET S-10
  • RWD
The problem is getting worse every week. When i'm going down the road the truck acts as if it is running out of gas and starts sputtering. When i'm at a redlight/ stop sign the truck stalls out as if it were running out of gas, so I accelerate and after its done sputtering it goes back to normal. I just changed the fuel filter on it and that didnt make it run any better. Also started putting mid-grade in it and it seemed to be better the first few days and now it is acting like it was before. It also drinks a lot of gas if that helps diagnose the problem in anyway. PLEASE HELP!
Wednesday, May 21st, 2014 AT 5:21 PM

Several things could be causing this. First, have you checked the computer to see if there are trouble codes stored? Have you checked fuel pump pressure to make sure it is within the manufacturer's specs and the pump is producing proper pressure and the regulator is working properly? When was the last tune up?

Let me know the answers to the above questions. Also, just FYI, if this is a 4.3L, they had problems with the spider under the intake (the injection system). The regulator would go bad and cause similar issues. Let me know the above answers first, then we can go from that point. NOTE: I will need you to check the function of the fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator.
Wednesday, May 21st, 2014 AT 5:58 PM
JCROUCH18
There are no codes in the computer. And I don't know how to check the fuel pressure. I did a tune-up on it around February, (air filter, oil, oil filter, spark plugs, spark plug wires.) And this is a 4.3.
Wednesday, May 21st, 2014 AT 6:15 PM
I need to know one more thing. Is this a multi port fuel injected engine or does it have TBI? Also, can you locate the fuel pressure regulator?
Wednesday, May 21st, 2014 AT 6:28 PM
JCROUCH18
It is TBI, and no I don't know what to look for honestly.
Wednesday, May 21st, 2014 AT 6:53 PM
Here is a generic video showing how to check fuel pressure on all vehicles. I say generic because it isn't for one specific type of car but rather a general overview of how it's done. It is actually very informative. Watch it and let me know if you feel it is something you can do.

I have a feeling the fuel pressure regulator is going bad and allowing too much pressure to get to the injector. However, the opposite could be true too. There could be too little pressure due to a weak pump.

Let me know what you think of the video.

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/fuel-pump-pressure-and-regulator-test-video-all-cars
Thursday, May 22nd, 2014 AT 6:38 PM
JCROUCH18
My fuel pressure regulator is in the throttle body. And I don't see anywhere to connect a fuel pressure gauge too. Would it help to say that my truck doesn't act up all the time? It does it randomly. But at times it acts up badly.
Thursday, May 22nd, 2014 AT 7:26 PM
It still could be an issue with the pressure. As far as testing, you may have to remove the fuel line at the injector and check it there.
-1
Friday, May 23rd, 2014 AT 4:51 AM