HARMONIC BALANCER PROBLEM

• Giggles81974
  • 1991 BUICK CENTURY

I have a 1991 Buick century Limited I have replaced the harmonic balancer 3 time in 2 months and the crank seal twice, The seal popped out. I would like to what is causing this?

Saturday, April 2nd, 2011 AT 9:39 PM

• Wrenchtech

Why did the balancers have to be changed?

Saturday, April 2nd, 2011 AT 10:31 PM
  • Giggles81974

The first one was replaced because the center was cracked and made less tension on the belt which caused the battery to die. It worked for about a month, Then the second one started wobbling like it was a defect and now the third one is doing the same like something is bent. Hope this helps on giving me advice on how to fix

Sunday, April 3rd, 2011 AT 3:46 AM
  • Wrenchtech

That's pretty much unheard of. I would question whether something is wrong with the crankshaft leaving the Balancer loose on the shaft but there is no reason for a tight balancer to fail like that. The only way they fail is if the rubber attaching the 2 parts rots away and that's not happening on a brand new balancer.

Sunday, April 3rd, 2011 AT 11:52 AM