SHIFTING PROBLEM

1990 Toyota Corolla

verbluda

I have a 1990 Toyota Corolla Automatic Transmission with 166k miles. When I start the car and try to shift it from Park, it seems like the shifter is stuck, it's really hard to move it out of park. When I do move it out of park and into reverse, there is a loud clinking noise and the car****** a little bit. The car runs fine, but shifting from Park to Reverse is the problem. What could be the cause of this? Thank you

Docfixit

Suspect fault in shift interlock system. Do brake lights come on? If yes need to have looked at before damage occurs to Trans costing $$$$$

verbluda

Thanks for the reply. What does it mean if the brake lights dont come on?

Docfixit

Interlock will keep in park if brake switch does not send input to computer

verbluda

My brake lights do come on. What exactly do you mean by shift interlock system? Is it the whole system that needs to be replaced or just some small part? Is this something I can fix myself? If so, how would I go about fixing it? Is it a mechanical part that needs to be replaced or an electrical part? Thanks again for all your help.

Docfixit

Electrical in operation needs to be checked by trained Technician

Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Speed Sensor Replacement Honda