Would putting in a relay while my car(1990 Toyota Camry V6 dlx) is running cause the relay to blow out?

EDDYMAN30
  • 1990 TOYOTA CAMRY

Head relay blew, headlight not working

Friday, September 28th, 2012 AT 2:51 PM

KHLOW2008

That would depend on how you did it. If the wirings were done wrongly, it can short out anything in its circuit.

Friday, September 28th, 2012 AT 2:55 PM
EDDYMAN30

The auto shop put on a headlight switch for me, I though that was why my lights weren't working but they realized I needed a multi function switch and they said that's what burned out my headlight, so he hooked my switch up where when I needed headlight all I had to do was put the relay in and they would work until I could get the multi function switch, it worked when I initially did it, but yesterday I did it with the car running and the lights didn't come on

Friday, September 28th, 2012 AT 3:02 PM
EDDYMAN30

Meant to say the multi function switch eventually burned out the headlight switch

Friday, September 28th, 2012 AT 3:06 PM
KHLOW2008

The headlights uses a rather high current draw and if the switch is not able to carry the capacity, it would burn out the switch instead of the lights.

Friday, September 28th, 2012 AT 3:11 PM
EDDYMAN30

So you think that that multi function switch might of already damaged the new headlight switch that got installed?

Friday, September 28th, 2012 AT 3:17 PM
KHLOW2008

No, the newly installed switch could be of poor quality or it could be other things that is faulty causing the lights not to work. Have you checked the fuses?

Friday, September 28th, 2012 AT 3:32 PM
KHLOW2008

You need to perform tests to find out which part of the circuit has a fault.

Friday, September 28th, 2012 AT 3:33 PM
EDDYMAN30

The headlight switch still turns on the park and rear lights and I checked the fuses under the hood for The left and right headlights

Friday, September 28th, 2012 AT 3:35 PM
EDDYMAN30

Ok thanks for the help

Friday, September 28th, 2012 AT 3:39 PM
KHLOW2008

Do you have a testlight or DVOM to perform tests?

Friday, September 28th, 2012 AT 4:38 PM
EDDYMAN30

Yeah I tested the slot for the head relay yesterday with a testlight and it was good

Friday, September 28th, 2012 AT 4:41 PM
KHLOW2008

For electrical testings you need to understand the schematics and where and what to look for. I do not know how the extra switch is rigged so it might be a little difficult unless I understand it.

Can you explain to me how it works now?

Friday, September 28th, 2012 AT 4:48 PM
EDDYMAN30

The switch is installed and in the bright lights position, I can't move it back to dim cause from what the mechanic said the clicker/multifunction switch is broke/stuck so he set it up where as when I need the headlights on I just put the head relay on but when I'm not driving and the car is off I have to take the relay out otherwise the headlights will stay on, when they didn't work yesterday I assumed I blew the relay because I put it in while the car was running

Friday, September 28th, 2012 AT 5:00 PM
KHLOW2008

That is the wrong way to be rigging up the switch.
How is the relay rigged into the circuit?

Friday, September 28th, 2012 AT 5:53 PM
EDDYMAN30

From what I know the relay isn't rigged, I know that before my old headlight switch went completely out the only way I could get headlight was by pulling the switch toward me as if I were flashing my brights, I know in the regular position its the dims, and if I push it toward the dash from the regular position thats brights, and if I pull it towards me from regular position that's just to flash brights, the new switch is in the brights position from what I can tell, can't move it back or forward

Friday, September 28th, 2012 AT 6:26 PM
KHLOW2008

Which relay are you refering to?

Can you reinstall the wiring back to standard without the switch?

Friday, September 28th, 2012 AT 6:46 PM
EDDYMAN30

The head relay and I don't know I might be able to get that multifunction switch fixed Monday, I was jus curious if me putting in that relay while the car was running blew it out, cause that was the only way I had headlights until it gets fixed

Friday, September 28th, 2012 AT 7:33 PM
KHLOW2008

It should not cause the problem unless you have blown a fuse while doing it.

Friday, September 28th, 2012 AT 7:54 PM
EDDYMAN30

Aww ok thanks for the help, thought I screwed up by putting the relay in while the car was running, definitely will give u guys a donation when I get some money, your awesome

Friday, September 28th, 2012 AT 7:58 PM
KHLOW2008

You're welcome.

I was thinking you are trying to resolve the problem. Btw, get an electrician to do the job if you want to rig anything, the mechanic you had doing the job does not know much about electricals.

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Friday, September 28th, 2012 AT 8:04 PM