HOW DO I REPLACE A SERPINTINE BELT TENSIONER ON A LS400

1990 Lexus LS 400

REECE BOWEN

February, 17, 2012 AT 6:53 PM

How do I replace a serpintine belt tensioner on a 1990 ls400

Wiring Issue?

fixitmr

February, 17, 2012 AT 7:14 PM

The idler pulley is at the top right of the engine (if you are looking at it from the front of the car). Using either a long breaker bar on the belt tensioner pulley bolt, take the pressure off the serpentine belt - this is the belt that drives your alternator, water pump, power steering and fan, etc. Don't horse anything - you should not have to push too hard to know if you are taking the tension off the belt! Once you do that, slip the belt off the tensioner pulley and slowly let the pressure off the belt tensioner pulley. Next remove the belt off the idler pulley and using correct sized socket with the breaker bar or a hefty wrench, remove the idler pulley bolt. If the idler pulley is really shot to bits, it may come off in pieces; if not, there should be one center bolt and a largish washer. Don't lose the washer or bolt since your new part does not come with those (mine didn't!). Replace everything in the same order.

REECE BOWEN

February, 17, 2012 AT 9:16 PM

I have done all you have mentioned, and I still can't get it off. Please look at the photos I attached and see if we are on the same page.
Image #90 is the tensioner on the car, # 91 is the new one.

fixitmr

February, 18, 2012 AT 3:35 AM

Can you take some more pics? Get a strater on shot of alternator area side of tensioner. From a lower position.

Oil and Filter Replacement BMW M5 2005-2010
Front Brake Pads & Rotor Replacement Chevy
 Oil Change & Filter Replacement Honda Civic
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Acura TL
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Toyota
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front