How do I change an alternator on a honda accord 1990
have the same problem?
Friday, November 19th, 2010 AT 3:05 AM
First, the alt is located low on the engine near the firewall. As a result, work has to be done from both the top and bottom of the vehicle. When under the vehicle, make sure the vehicle is securly supported. Here is are the directions I was able to find.
With the ignition OFF, disconnect the negative battery cable.
Unplug the alternator wire harness connector and remove the terminal nut.
Remove the alternator adjusting bolt; loosen the nut on the mount bolt.
Swing the alternator towards the engine; remove the belt.
Remove the bolts holding the alternator bracket to the engine and remove the alternator with the bracket.
Install the alternator and bracket. Once in position with the bolts finger-tight, install the belt. Tighten the mounting bracket bolts and the alternator mount (pivot) bolt to 33 ft. Lbs. (45 Nm).
Let me know if you have other questions.
Friday, November 19th, 2010 AT 3:27 AM
Honda Tech 1818
1. Remove the power steering belt and the pump. Remove the cruise control actuator.
2. Disconnect the alternator connector from the alternator.
3. Remove the terminal nut and the WHITE/RED wire from alternator.
4. Loosen the adjusting bolt, then remove the alternator nut.
5. Remove the alternator belt from the alternator pulley.
6. Remove the adjusting bolt, the lower through bolt and the stay.
7. Remove the upper through bolt, then remove the alternator.
8. Alternator installation is the reverse order of removal.