STARTING WHEN HOT

1990 Ford Ranger

TALBERT74

July, 21, 2014 AT 7:08 PM

Ok ready for this, you can start it right up if the engine is cool, if you run it long enough for it to get hot and shut it off again it will crank but wont start, and you smell fuel vapor from the exhaust really bad. But if you pop start it it will start right up every time. If its running it purrs like a kitten too. I've checked the spark plug and the fuses and I dont know where to go from there, please help me!

Jacobandnickolas

July, 21, 2014 AT 7:22 PM

Start by checking the EEC relay under the hood. Switch it with another relay with the same part number. See if that makes a difference.

TALBERT74

July, 21, 2014 AT 7:34 PM

May I ask for an explanation, I would hate to go spend money and not know what might happen or what signs to look for.

Thank you for your response

Jacobandnickolas

July, 22, 2014 AT 7:42 PM

You don't have to buy one. There are several in the relay box that will have the same part number that you can just switch to see if it makes a difference. The EEC is the electronic engine control relay. When they go bad, I have seen them shut down just the fuel or just the spark to the plugs or both. They always work cold, but often times when the engine is warm and you turn it off, it won't restart.

This is just a starting point. If it is the problem, the part is under 5 dollars. If it isn't the problem, I will need you to do some other checks for me.

TALBERT74

September, 14, 2014 AT 7:02 PM

Ok, I will try that then get back to you. Thank you very much for the information

TALBERT74

September, 15, 2014 AT 7:42 PM

The relays did not fit into the other sockets due to peices of plastic on the edges of the relays

Spark Plug Replacement Honda Element
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Spark Plug and Wire Replacement Ford Mustang
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Corolla 2000-20
Spark Plug Replacement Ford Explorer 4.6L V8