1990 FORD RANGER STARTING WHEN HOT

• TALBERT74
  • 1990 Ford Ranger
  • manual

Ok ready for this, you can start it right up if the engine is cool, if you run it long enough for it to get hot and shut it off again it will crank but wont start, and you smell fuel vapor from the exhaust really bad. But if you pop start it it will start right up every time. If its running it purrs like a kitten too. I've checked the spark plug and the fuses and I dont know where to go from there, please help me!

Monday, July 21st, 2014 AT 7:08 PM

• Jacobandnickolas

Start by checking the EEC relay under the hood. Switch it with another relay with the same part number. See if that makes a difference.

Monday, July 21st, 2014 AT 7:22 PM
  • TALBERT74

May I ask for an explanation, I would hate to go spend money and not know what might happen or what signs to look for.

Thank you for your response

Monday, July 21st, 2014 AT 7:34 PM
  • Jacobandnickolas

You don't have to buy one. There are several in the relay box that will have the same part number that you can just switch to see if it makes a difference. The EEC is the electronic engine control relay. When they go bad, I have seen them shut down just the fuel or just the spark to the plugs or both. They always work cold, but often times when the engine is warm and you turn it off, it won't restart.

This is just a starting point. If it is the problem, the part is under 5 dollars. If it isn't the problem, I will need you to do some other checks for me.

Tuesday, July 22nd, 2014 AT 7:42 PM
  • TALBERT74

Ok, I will try that then get back to you. Thank you very much for the information

Sunday, September 14th, 2014 AT 7:02 PM
  • TALBERT74

The relays did not fit into the other sockets due to peices of plastic on the edges of the relays

Monday, September 15th, 2014 AT 7:42 PM