NEW PROBLEM WITH . I VERY RECENTLY NOTICED MY "WOBBLES" WHEN I DRIVE.

1990 Dodge Ramcharger

thbrann

May, 22, 2012 AT 5:42 PM

I like to think this was all of a sudden because it seems like I would have noticed it building up to this point. I feel it from the moment I let off the brake until I stop again. It is most violent at 35-40 mph where it is absolutely intolerable. I almost can't see straight from the violent shaking. However the wobble is present from stop to stop. It felt very similar to when I had a broken ball joint except I have ruled that out in this case. I am thinking of two things but do not know exactly how to approach either. 1.) Replace bushings/parts on front end and/or 2.) Alignment. I am on a budget and these parts are getting expensive. Is there a tell-tale sign of what to look for in order to minimize buying unnecessary parts/service?1990 Dodge Ramcharger 5.2, 318, RWD, front end has coil springs/shocks

May, 22, 2012 AT 5:50 PM

Have the wheel alignment and front suspension checked could also be coming from the transmission

caradiodoc

May, 22, 2012 AT 5:55 PM

None of those parts will cause what you're describing. Start by checking for a broken belt in a tire. That will cause a noticeable shimmy in the steering wheel at real low speeds. On the 2wd trucks a worn idler arm can cause a wobble after hitting bumps in the road but that only occurs at higher speeds. You might consider an inspection at a tire and alignment shop. Many of them inspect vehicles for free. Misalignment won't cause a sudden wobble but reading the tire wear patterns can provide clues to the cause.

caradiodoc

May, 22, 2012 AT 6:00 PM

Something else you might consider is a sticking front brake caliper. That will cause a harsh shimmy at the speeds you mentioned that will come on suddenly. That will be worse after braking moderately. The additional clue is the truck won't creep on its own when in neutral on a slight incline.

Replace Ball Joints Like a Pro
Replace Tie Rod End
Upper Control Arm Replacement
Sway Bar Link Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Lower Control Arm Bushing Replacement Honda