THE CAR AND MOTOR RUN IMMACULATE

1990 Chrysler New Yorker

penrod

December, 24, 2012 AT 2:01 AM

The car and motor run immaculate. The problem is sometimes when we go to start the car it does nothing. The dash lights come on and you can hear the fuel pump activate, but the motor does nothing. I can sit and continually turn the ignition on and off and eventually it will start.

caradiodoc

December, 24, 2012 AT 8:50 AM

What is the symptom? Do you hear a single rather loud clunk each time you turn the ignition switch to "crank"?

penrod

December, 26, 2012 AT 5:33 PM

All I hear is the fuel pump activate and the dash lites come on but when we turn the ignition key there is no noise at all. No clicking or anythhing but it will start eventually after some tries. Sometimes it starts right up and will do this like normal and then sometimes it does the no start thing where there is nothing.

caradiodoc

December, 26, 2012 AT 10:56 PM

Which engine and transmission do you have? When it doesn't crank, try shifting to neutral. If that works, suspect the neutral safety switch. If there's no change, there's two ways to approach this. One is to measure voltages on the four wires at the starter relay.

This is the same circuit that is used on your car, and the test procedures are the same, but the wire colors may be different. If you can't figure out which one is the starter relay, I'll try to find a service manual, and describe it for you.

The other method is to pry the cover off the starter relay, then squeeze the contact. If the engine cranks, we know two of the three circuits are good.

penrod

December, 27, 2012 AT 3:09 AM

I will try the starter relay method first. I have tried to move the shifter to neutral and it doesn't do anything. It is so odd because sometimes when it is doing this and I leave and come back later it will start like there is no problem. But will have to wait for this latest snow storm to pass. I am one of those people that don't have a garage. Thanks for the help. Will let you know what happens.

Cabin Air Filter Replacement Saturn Vue
Door Panel Removal & Speaker Replacement