FUEL PUMP WORKS WHEN I PUT IN TANK DRIVE FOR 5 ...

1990 Chevrolet S-10

bradtiny531

December, 31, 2012 AT 6:19 PM

Fuel pump works when I put in tank, drive for 5 minutes and truck dies and the fuel pump makes a ch sound instead of a hum

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

December, 31, 2012 AT 6:33 PM

Was this a new fuel pump? I'm not much good with sounds.

bradtiny531

January, 1, 2013 AT 1:06 AM

Yes, I put in a few new ones, keep burning out within 10 minutes of driving

January, 1, 2013 AT 2:00 AM

What is the fuel pressure? Did you use a new fuel filter? Check voltage and ground. Did you check the amp draw?

bradtiny531

January, 1, 2013 AT 4:06 AM

Yes, proper fuel pressure, fuel filter is newer, It works for a couple mintues, go to drive around the block and it makes a chh sound doesn't want to kick on. Is it the pump I'm buying? Preision fuel pump.

Did you check voltage and ground for the pump motor when problem is ongoing? Can you blow air through the fuel lines? Is the fuel tank clean? If voltage and ground are good and no pump action, the pump is faulty. Try different brand of fuel pump. I don't know what else to tell you?

bradtiny531

Voltage seems correct, ground was clean, I put 3 fuel pumps in all the same brand, oreillys selling default parts?

I have no idea? Faulty voltage or ground can damage the fuel pump.

bradtiny531

How so I check the volatage the right way?

Your fuel lines aren't trying to clog? Check the return line, make sure you can blow air through it.

There is a fuel pump test connector close to the fuel pump relay. You can use jumper wire from battery + to test connector and the pump will run. Don't need the key. Most digital multimeters have an amp setting, hook the meter in series with jumper, to check amp draw.