1990 Buick Century Throttle Position sensor

MATTD88
  • 1990 BUICK CENTURY
I would like to ask someone on here how to replace the throttle position sensor on my buick century. It's a 1990 v6 3.3l engine. I have been having a problem with my car stalling and shutting off while driving and or idling while its in drive. I had someone look at it and they told me its not fuel related so he said to look into sensors replacement. I was going to first try replacing the mass air flow sensor and then the throttle sensor to see if that fixes it. Any help is greatly appreciated thanks.
Sunday, June 2nd, 2013 AT 8:24 PM

Throwing random parts at a problem is the most expensive and least effective way to diagnose a problem. Additionally, you will be inserting a bunch of new variables to confuse the Engine Computer even more. The exception is if you already have those parts on hand.

The throttle position sensor will not cause stalling. It can cause a hesitation on acceleration but that will be detected by the computer and it will set a related diagnostic fault code to tell you. The mass air flow sensor can cause stalling but that is not nearly as common as it was years ago. Has anyone even checked yet for any fault codes? If there are none set, the fuel supply system is still a good suspect.
Sunday, June 2nd, 2013 AT 8:41 PM
MATTD88
Yeah I agree with you about spending money on parts, but I was going to get the parts from a scrap yard since the mass air flow sensor is so costly to buy new. I had someone run fuel tests on the car and they told me its not the fuel supply or anything like that. It stalls and shuts off when I'm pressing the gas pedal so I figure its something to do with the acceleration. The computer was replaced recently because I was getting a code that was a quad driver circuit that was in the computer and I was having like the same problem but I unplugged the wire going into the tcc solenoid going into my tranny and that fixed it. What I don't understand is when the computer was replaced the check engine light went out and the wire plugged in, it ran good for several weeks but then just started acting up going up a mountain a few weeks ago, I haven't been able to drive it since.
Monday, June 3rd, 2013 AT 4:17 AM