TEMP GAUGE READING HIGH ALWAYS

1989 Honda Accord

jbert

August, 7, 2013 AT 4:29 PM

My 89 Accord lxi temp gauge jumps to 1/2 as soon as the key is turned and soon rises to hot as the car warms up. It never overheats, but it want to know what the engine temp really is as my daughter will be taking the car off to college.

Temp Gauge

August, 7, 2013 AT 5:01 PM

I would use a manual guage to check or verify the actual temp of the motor.

It may be a bad sender unit or dash unit.

jbert

August, 7, 2013 AT 5:10 PM

When I disconnect the wire from the temp sending unit, it goes up to 1/2 just as if it is plugged in. It doesn't rise anymore afterwards if the wire is not connected though.

August, 7, 2013 AT 5:30 PM

I would start by replacing the sender unit.

jbert

August, 7, 2013 AT 6:36 PM

I actually have replaced the sender unit. The problem seems to be in the wiring between the sender unit and the gauge, Then gauge show 1/2 way to hot even when the wire to the sender unit is unplugged and even when I put the unit plugged in into ice water. Te gauge seems to be miscalibrated, but no one talks about that as a solution. Even when the motor is cold, it just goes to 1/2. I tested the gauge by grounding the sender unit wire and it went right to hot like it was supposed to.

August, 7, 2013 AT 6:42 PM

There is no calibration of the gauge unit. If you replaced the sender, then most likely you have a failed dash unit. Make sure the connector at the back of the instrument cluster is good.

jbert

August, 7, 2013 AT 7:00 PM

I didn't think so. How would one go about getting to the instrument cluster. Pull the dash? If so, how would I do that?

August, 7, 2013 AT 7:07 PM

You dont think so? Did you check this already?

jbert

August, 7, 2013 AT 7:40 PM

No, I meant I didn't think you could calibrate the gauge. I am trying to get to the gauge now.

August, 7, 2013 AT 7:43 PM

Most likely the dash unit is bad.

jbert

August, 7, 2013 AT 10:00 PM

So, how do I test the temp gauge? I am getting a little tired of buying parts that aren't solving my problem. Thanks.

Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230