89 2.3L DIS CRANKS AND STARTS BUT DIES IMMEDIATELY AND DOESN'T RESTART FOR HOURS.

1989 Ford Ranger

sirfrancis2012

March, 12, 2012 AT 3:04 AM

1989 Ford ranger 2.3L Dual Plug eecIV DIS. Parts replaced in the last 3 months: Timing Belt, Crankshaft position sensor, ECT sensor, ACT sensor, MAP sensor, EGR valve and position sensor, EEC relay and EEC, Fuel relay and Fuel pump, fuel filter, 4 fuel injectors, ICM, spark plug wires and plugs, both coil packs replaced and test good, New battery and cables, cleaned all grounds, Fuel pressure regulator. Fuel pressure is steady at 40 psi, I do have good strong spark at plugs on exhaust side. Compression test is 175 on all cylinders and 190 psi on all, with a little oil in cylinders. Check engine light is on when cranking only, codes read 11, all clear. We have tried replacing everything of importance for spark, fuel, compression, which we have. It won't run for more than 5 seconds then die and cannot restart for hours. Please someone help. The truck didn't have a outer timing belt cover when we bought it, so when we installed the timing belt we followed haynes manual with TDC on crankshaft and camshaft pointer at mark on back cover, so I'm sure timing is ok. But just for the heck of it I put a timing light #1 plug on exhaust side and it read an advance of approx. 50 degrees? Need some help on where to go from here. One more thing, when cranking oil light flashes, no other lights flash.

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

Jacobandnickolas

March, 12, 2012 AT 5:19 AM

To start, check to see what is missing, spark or fuel when it doesn't start. Next, check the EEC relay. It is under the hood in the relay box. Switch it with one that has the same part number to see if that makes a difference.

sirfrancis2012

March, 12, 2012 AT 5:53 PM

I will try after work today and follow up asap. Thanks

sirfrancis2012

March, 13, 2012 AT 3:14 AM

Replaced eec relay today and it started strong but died and No sound from the fuel relay switching or the fuel pump pressurizing, like before I replaced the eec relay. I sprayed starter fluid in intake and it did start, but died. Why would the pump circuit stop working when I put the new relay in? What to do next?

Jacobandnickolas

March, 13, 2012 AT 3:40 AM

That is a good question. Check if there is a seperate fuel pump relay. If there isn't, then we need to start tracing wiring back to see where it is lost.

sirfrancis2012

March, 13, 2012 AT 12:58 PM

Have the day off today, so I will be checking that this morning and post back. Thanks guys.

sirfrancis2012

March, 13, 2012 AT 10:09 PM

There is no other fuel relay I could find, but I did replace the fuel relay today just for the heck of it. It started strong and ran the longest it ever has in the last 3 months, about five minutes, then it died. I did check for trouble codes even though the check engine light wasn't on and it read 11 and in memory code 88 and 95, which I have never seen until now. I definitely have somewhere to start since communicating with you guys, thanks. What would you suggest I do now?

coilers1

March, 24, 2012 AT 11:26 PM

Hello I have a 1989 ford ranger also, it recently came out of the shop, they changed the computer, and the ignition module, it seemed to work for about 40 mins of so. As soon as you start driving for a long period of time it just powers down then quits, before it was in the shop it would only run for about five mins then quit. So after I leave it sit for a couple hrs it will start again fine and will sit and idle. Any suggestions?

rivermikerat

April, 18, 2012 AT 10:04 PM

11 is System PASS
89 is Clutch Converter Override Circuit failure
95 is fuel pump secondary circuit failure

There's a clutch triple function switch on the clutch pedal. The fuel pump secondary circuit is the part from the relay to the pump and back to ground.

Jacobandnickolas

April, 18, 2012 AT 11:59 PM

Check to see if there is power out of the relay to the pump. If there isn't, check to make sure the relay is getting power.

kenneth T

March, 19, 2015 AT 6:24 PM

Hi did u ever find out whats wrong with your truck cause mine doing the same thing