1989 Ford F-250 Starter not did engaging

PICK DOG F
  • 1989 FORD F-250
Truck had no neg symptoms, I removed Jack from under hood, then the truck would not start, had ticking at starter solenoid on fender, replaced solenoid, truck started 3 times, fourth start the starter would not did engage, pulled ignition wire and still ran, pulled neutral and it draped, so I replaced starter and all wires in system, I grounded everything including solenoid, truck stared great 6 times then starter went out of control again, I've found that I can only stop it by banging on solenoid or pulling neutral wire, pulling small s terminal wire dose nothing, and I have a button start, relaxed that too, batterie was recharged, all wires ( especially by Jack were inspected ). Help :)
Wednesday, November 26th, 2014 AT 3:47 PM

MHPAUTOS
This should be an easy circuit to sort out, it is fairly basic, I know you have already said that you have done most of this but re check anyway. Starter is in good order, main cable from solenoid to starter is sound and tight, cable from battery to solenoid is sound and tight, solenoid has good earth and power from Pos (+) source to starter switch is ok and switch is in good condition, your problem must be in one of these places.
Wednesday, November 26th, 2014 AT 4:12 PM
PICK DOG F
Thank you will recheck, hey can one of the other wires( alternater, lights) have a reverse current and activate solenoid?
Wednesday, November 26th, 2014 AT 4:33 PM
MHPAUTOS
I doubt it, it would have to be on the pos side of the push switch, that will be a dedicated wire, best bet a problem with the push switch or solenoid it self.
Wednesday, November 26th, 2014 AT 6:21 PM
PICK DOG F
Thank you
Wednesday, November 26th, 2014 AT 7:09 PM
IS THERE ANY OTHER WIRES CONNECTED TO THE SOLENOID (ON ANY TERMINAL) OTHER THAN BATT/ STARTER/ S/ (I?)?

HAS ANYONE SPICED IN OTHER CRAP INTO THE IGNITION/ STARTER SYSTEM OVER THE YEARS?

WHAT ABOUT WIRES THAT MAY BE MELTED TO THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD? OR RUBBED RAW ON METAL?

Wednesday, November 26th, 2014 AT 7:47 PM
PICK DOG F
The continuos hot on silinoied has I believe the lights fuse box system and alternator, I thought Mandy the ignition switch was somehow engaging the solenoid inadvertently, no burns, only hot ( post connection) to starter, the push button runs from fuse pore box to button then to solenoid, and I took it off wile starter was running. This is crazy man, is there anything that can trip on the solenoid other than the s terminal? Thanks for the response
Thursday, November 27th, 2014 AT 7:27 AM
MAYBE "BATT" AND "STARTER" ARE REVERSED?

I'M PRETTY SURE YOU HAVE THE NEWER STYLE SOLENOID

. BUT IT MOST LIKELY OPERATES LIKE THE OLDER TYPE

WE ALSO HAVE THE "FACTORY DEFECTIVE" OR "YOU DONE RUINED IT" FACTOR THAT MAY PLAY IN

THE ONLY THING THAT SHOULD ACTIVATE IT IS "S", WHEN "S" WIRE DIES OR IS DISCONNECTED COMPLETELY THE SOLENOID SHOULD RETURN TO NOTHINGNESS

UNLESS IT IS STICKING OR WIRED WRONG

I HAVE A DIAGRAM OF THE OLDER STYLE "IN ACTION" ON MY '77 JEEP CJ 5

PAY ATTENTION TO A FEW THINGS

A) THE STARTER SIDE ONLY HAS ONE CABLE ON IT, IT RUNS NOTHING ELSE

B) ON MY JEEP/ OLDER FORDS, ALL ACCESSORIES STACK UP ON THE BATTERY SIDE BIG TERMINAL

C) "S" IS/ USES "ONLY" MOMENTARY 12 VOLTS FROM A SWITCH/ BUTTON

D) "I" SUPPLIES 12 VOLTS TO THE COIL DURING "CRANK UP", THEN DIES OFF (12 V) NOW LISTEN! LISTEN! ATTENTION! WHILE IT'S RUNNING AND HOOKED UP STILL, IF YOU TEST "I TERMINAL" WITH A VOLTMETER, YOU WILL SHOW "COIL VOLTAGE" (LOWER THAN 12 V)

PAY ATTENTION TO "I" IN MY DIAGRAM

THINK OF THIS TOO

WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN ON THE NEWER STYLE SOLENOID IF "STARTER" AND BATTERY" WERE REVERSED ON IT?

WOULD THE STARTER POST (NOW USED FOR THE BATT) CONSTANTLY FEED 12 VOLTS TO "S" THRU THE "I" CIRCUIT WHEN "S" INITIALIZED THE ACTIVATION?

SORTA LOOK AT MY DIAGRAM AS IF THE ROLES OF THE TERMINALS WERE REVERSED - FOLLOW THE "RED WIRES" TO THE "POSITIVE COIL".

WHAT IF "I" WAS INTERNALLY HOOKED TO "THE BIG STARTER LUG" DURING CRANKAGE (THEN NEVER TURNED LOOSE 'CAUSE IT WAS THEN CONSTANTLY FED VOLTAGE ONCE THE ELECTROMAGNET BRIDGES THE OPEN CIRCUIT. HARD TO EXPLAIN. MAKE ANY SENSE?

KEEP US POSTED AS YOU CONTINUE!

Thursday, November 27th, 2014 AT 9:32 AM
PICK DOG F
This is great info. Now I have the old one with no I terminal, will experiment with that soon. I have no I coil connection and I followed the hook up precisely. But one more q, why will the truck start great and strong 4-6 times and then flip out? Would not any incorrect connection reviled itself immediately? Again thanks for the help
Thursday, November 27th, 2014 AT 11:28 AM
I WANT YOU TO KNOW

ABSOLUTELY FOR SURE

THE DIAGRAMS WERE OF MY JEEP'S SYSTEM

SOME OLDER FORDS WIRE UP THE SAME WAY (AS "AMC JEEP" BORROWED FORD'S SYSTEM)

"I TERMINAL" WAS NOT ALWAYS USED ON SOME RIGS

I WAS ONLY USING THE DIAGRAMS TO SHOW YOU HOW IMPORTANT IT IS TO HOOK TO THE CORRECT TERMINALS AND WHY

IT ALL REVERTS BACK TO THESE 2 QUESTIONS OF MINE

IS THE SOLENOID AND STARTER IS WIRED IN CORRECTLY?

OTHER THAN THE STARTER BEING "MECHANICALLY" STUCK/ HUNG UP IN THE FLYWHEEL, IF THE SOLENOID IS PERFECTLY OPERATIONAL, SNATCHING "S WIRE" OFF OF THE SOLENOID, SHOULD KILL THE STARTER. IS THIS NOT SO?

Thursday, November 27th, 2014 AT 12:03 PM
PICK DOG F
Yes wires are correct, and snatching the s wire would not stop it only banging on silioied, or removing neg cable
Thursday, November 27th, 2014 AT 12:17 PM
GOTTA BE MR. SOLENOID!

I'VE SEEN STUFF RIGHT OUTTA THE BOX BE BAD

I'VE RETURNED A "NEW" BAD ITEM FOR ANOTHER "NEW" BAD ITEM (FOUND OUT THERE WAS A "BAD BATCH")

IF THAT ONE WAS NEW, YOU MIGHT EVEN RETURN IT, GET ANOTHER BRAND FROM ANOTHER STORE

ONE OF THESE (OR SIMILAR) WOULD MAKE LIFE EZier FOR YOU DURING THIS TROUBLED TIME, IT MIGHT AID YOU IN THE FUTURE TOO, WHEN TOOLS ARE NOT ON HAND!

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web/PartSearchCmd?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&pageId=partTypeList&suggestion=&actionSrc=Form&langId=-1&searchTerm=battery+disconnect&vehicleIdSearch=32992&searchedFrom=header

KEEP US POSTED

WE ALWAYS LIKE TO HEAR A HAPPY ENDING!

Thursday, November 27th, 2014 AT 4:41 PM
PICK DOG F
Will let you know outcome, the quick kill is a great item, and 5 star rating on your advise and help. Later doc
Thursday, November 27th, 2014 AT 5:16 PM
WELL THANK YOU!

ANXIOUS TO HEAR THAT YOU HAVE GONE OUT TO FIND YOU A JEEP CJ ! LOL!

I'M USUALLY ON HERE IN THE EVENINGS, WAITIN' ON GOOD NEWS!

I'VE GOT 2- 60 AMP "TWIST" KINDA SWITCHES (THEY LOOK LIKE A MODEL TRAIN CONTROL KNOB)

BASICALLY THEY WILL INSTALL ON THE END OF THE POSITIVE BATTERY CABLE BEFORE THE SOLENOID (NEED LONGER CABLES)-THEN MOUNT ON THE INSIDE OF MY FIREWALL (WITH THE 2 TERMINALS ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE FIREWALL) JUST UNDER AND BELOW MY DASH (CONTROL KNOB IN THE COCKPIT AREA, SORTA HIDDEN)- THE OTHER CABLE WILL START AT THE SWITCH AND RETURN TO THE SOLENOID

I WILL BE ABLE TO SHUT OFF A "RUNAWAY SOLENOID/ STARTER" WITHOUT GETTING OUT. I WILL ALSO BE ABLE TO MESS WITH MY ELECTRICAL STUFF, WITHOUT UN-DOING MR. BATTERY. IT WILL ALSO BE A THEFT DETERRENT IF NEED BE

I JUST AIN'T GOT AROUND TO INSTALLING THEM IN BOTH JEEPS, AND YES, I'VE HAD TO SAW, MY QUICKLY GETTING HOT, BATTERY CABLE IN HALF WITH A DULL POCKET KNIFE WHEN IT HAPPENED TO ME, THE VERY 1ST TIME, SINCE THEN, I HAVE BASIC TOOLING, ALWAYS IN MY JEEPS. MY SWITCHES WILL MAKE ME FEEL BETTER THOUGH!

Thursday, November 27th, 2014 AT 9:07 PM
PICK DOG F
Day 3 after putting on silioied #3 and put on a neutral batterie mounted kill switch, truck is doing great. No real explanation other than the other silioied or the threat to deprive the engin of power, thank you for the help, If I have other problems I'll check in, is there any other form where I can report a positive post for you?
Tuesday, December 2nd, 2014 AT 1:06 PM
JUST KEEP ON COMING BACK HERE

IF YOU LOSE TRACK OF THIS POST, SIMPLY GO TO "SEARCH" ON THE HOMEPAGE (REALLY, ANY PAGE)

STICK IN WORDS LIKE YOUR USER NAME, 1989 F250, ETC

OR SIMPLY GO TO YOUR ACCOUNT WHEN YOU SIGN IN

GLAD YOU GOT IT GOING

Tuesday, December 2nd, 2014 AT 4:07 PM