IGNITION WILL NOT ENGAGE THE ENGINE IN MY TRUCK, WHAT COULD BE WRONG?

1989 Ford F-150

nmccarty82

July, 29, 2012 AT 12:04 AM

I have a 1989 F150 6 cyl, manual tranny, I replaced the ignition switch on top of the steering column and the ignition assembly as well. I have recently replaced all solenoid, starter, and alternator. The actuator rod moves back and forth when I turn the key over so I know its not the actuator arm behind the steering wheel. What else could this be? I go to turn the key and I hear everything come on lights, radio, fuel pump etc, but when I go to turn it over the key just stays all the way over.

Starter

Starter

1 ANSWER
1 IMAGE

cadieman

July, 29, 2012 AT 12:28 AM

Check that voltage is going to the starter from the seloniod in crank pos.

nmccarty82

July, 29, 2012 AT 12:32 AM

What if the voltage is going to the start to the solenoid just fine? What then?

nmccarty82

July, 29, 2012 AT 1:45 AM

How do I know if it is getting what it needs? Do I have to buy a voltage tester? What are the steps I should take?

July, 29, 2012 AT 2:36 AM

MAYBE LOOSEN THE SWITCH AND SCOOT IT BACK TOWARDS THE STEERING WHEEL?

BASICALLY PUT THE SWITCH IN THE "ON" POSITION----SCOOT THE SWITCH BACK (WITH ROD IN IT) TILL THE RADIO COMES ON!

IT MAY TAKE A LITTLE "TWEAKING" TO GET IT PERFECT

HERE'S SOME PICS OF AN '88 F-150 I DID FOR A FRIEND

I TOOK THESE PICS BECAUSE ON A JEEP CJ 5 AND 7, YOU ARE UNABLE TO DROP THE COLUMN YOU MUST DO THE WHOLE DEAL BY FEEL

I ANSWER A LOT IN THE CJ FORUMS (MY THING) AND JUST KNOWING WHAT IT REALLY LOOKS LIKE WHEN IT'S HIDDEN, MEANS A BUNCH TO SOMEONE WHO BASICALLY CHANGING ONE BLINDFOLDED AS IN A CJ

July, 29, 2012 AT 2:39 AM

I DID MEAN ABOVE---PUT THE KEY IN THE ON POSITION SCOOT THE SWITCH 'TILL IS CORRESPONDS

Starter Motor Replacement Ford Mustang
Starter Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011