460 V8 MISSES THEN DIES ONCE THE ENGINE WARMS UP. LET IT COOL DOWN THEN STARTS BACK UP

1988 Ford F-350

waterboy33898

February, 1, 2011 AT 12:11 AM

Replaced wires, plugs, cap, and rotor. When I start the truck it runs great lots of power but as soon as it warms up it starts to miss and then dies. Once it cools down it fires right back up. It is getting plenty of fuel im unsure where to go from here

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

February, 1, 2011 AT 4:21 AM

Imma Jeep CJ Guy, My Recently Late Dad was a FORD MAN, I have dealt with the '86 T-Bird and F-150 of his, Since they were new! (I assist friends and neighbors a lot too!

Test and/ or replace your coil

Do the same for the IGNITION MODULE (probably on the side of your distributor), it can be tested for FREE at Autozone, Advance Auto, and other popular stores. Many times with Jeep CJs, it needs to be tested repeatedly to "warm 'em up" at least 4-6 times, any one failure, I would replace it!

Use "heat dissipating stuff" under it, upon re-installation, to dissipate heat. They generally have small "Condiment Size Packets" of "it"(Lost for the correct name) really cheap at the counter!

Let me know if that helped

The Medic

waterboy33898

February, 2, 2011 AT 1:36 AM

I replaced the ignition module and coil with no success, the truck still dies upon heating up and then it will start fine after it has cooled down. I replaced the spark plugs and wires, distributor cap, ignition module, coil, solenoid, brand new battery. Any other suggestions?

waterboy33898

February, 2, 2011 AT 2:17 AM

I replaced the coil and the module today still dies once warm I think im getting close because it is running alot smoother but still dies. My next step is to replace the fuel system I guess. Im gonna get a fuel pump, filter, pressure regulator maybe injectors if I can find them cheap enough. I did find a hole in the tube from the manifold to the egr valve. I dont think that would cause it when its warm. I could have bought another truck with the money I have spent trying to get this darn thing going

February, 2, 2011 AT 3:14 AM

Sorry, all I had to offer

Maybe someone else will pipe in!

Let me know if you fix it, with what you are attempting now.

The Medic