1988 Chevy Silverado Ignition Lock/Key cylinder won't turn

TGWYN69
  • 1988 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
1988 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.7 L Tilt Wheel
The ignition switch lock cylinder will not turn. When you try to turn it, if feel like your bending something inside the column and won't turn. I have replaced the lock/key cylinder but the new one does the same thing.
Sunday, July 3rd, 2011 AT 12:26 PM

Several possibilities here

Try to tilt, see if the pivot is binding your linkage headed toward the switch

Your actual ignition switch may have come loose or is broken (not sliding like it should)

Imma Jeep CJ kinda guy.....I like Fords also!........I'll mess with anything to help someone!

Just seeing your switch...it looks very much like a Ford Switch, I'm sure they are similar!.....and probably function similar

I have pics of a '88 Ford F-100 I took to assist others w/ Jeeps and Fords..........Best I can do!

The switch on ours is located just on the other side of the dash, on top of the column

On "My Favorites" I can change 'em out, without lowering the column....it's tight, but I am accustomed to "feeling" my way thru the process....I lowered this on to take my homemade pics

To save me from forever huntin' and peckin, please view this post...Yeah, Yeah, Yeah it's a Ford!.....Can't help it you got confused and didn't wind up at the Jeep dealer for a new Wrangler. lol!

Pay special attention to the rod and the "L" shaped end, it's hidden position when sighting down the column, when completely installed

Observe the "slider" in the switch itself....it should slide free and be "springy" in the start position

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1989-ford-f-250-remove-ignition

Let me know if this,at minimum, aids in repairing your rig!

The Medic

-1
Sunday, July 3rd, 2011 AT 3:43 PM
CADIEMAN
When you remove the cylinder youll see the linkage inside has groves in it you need to use a screw driver to manually start the car by pushing the linkage back and forth. If you can do this the column is ok. Then you must be sure the linkage is set back to off position before installing the cylinder. One grove off youll have problems. There is a line on the cylinder and one on the column they have to line up when the cylinder is installed.
+1
Sunday, July 3rd, 2011 AT 4:23 PM
TGWYN69
I've installed a new ignition switch and a new key cylinder and that has not worked. It's still doin the same thing.
Monday, July 4th, 2011 AT 12:50 AM
Think you could just take loose the ignition switch (as in the pics, I sent you to), insuring the "L" shaped, end of the rod is FREE and has "FLOPPAGE", just hanging. Then see if the tumbler will turn?

This is tilt, so maybe something has gone wrong in the pivot, if no good results in the paragraph above this one.

The Medic
Monday, July 4th, 2011 AT 2:10 AM
TGWYN69
I found the problem. I took apart the whole shell of the column. Beside the gears for the lock cylinder, there was a piece of metal wire stopping the gears from turning. Apparently, it was left from a previous repair. All is good now. Thanks for your help. Its greatly appreciated.
Tuesday, July 5th, 2011 AT 11:34 PM
Since you fixed it yourself, you do not owe me lunch now!

Must be a "Chevy Thing"

Shoulda got you a Jeep!

Come back to see us. Let me fix it next time, I am pretty hungry!

The Medic
Wednesday, July 6th, 2011 AT 12:13 AM
TGWYN69
I got one of those too. A 1995 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 with a major issue if you want a real challenge. I've had mechanics look at it and they dont have a clue. Believe it or not, its got to be weather related. I 've had it for three years. During Fall, Winter, and Spring, it runs fantastic. When the hot weather of summer hits, after driving it a few miles, its starts bouncing, and cutting out. If feels like the bottom is coming out of the vehicle. Let it sit about 10 minutes and its fine for a while and then starts it again.
Wednesday, July 6th, 2011 AT 1:36 AM
Cuts off. Then no cranky?

While it's comatose. Have you checked for spark?

Bouncin'. Elaborate

(Station Wagons aren't, "Real Jeeps") lol!

The Medic
Wednesday, July 6th, 2011 AT 2:03 AM
TGWYN69
It doesn't cut off, its just a real hard miss, like its goin to die but it doesn't. By bouncing, I mean missing like 4 of the 6 plugs are fouled. It starts******* like the whole bottom of the motor or transmission is goin to fall in the road. But it never turns off. The whole thing that gets me is that it only happens when the weather is hot outside.
Wednesday, July 6th, 2011 AT 1:00 PM
Check engine light work at start-up, verifying that it does work?

Does it remain on? Have code been scanned, even history codes?

You know them Wranglers. The newer ones, with the round headlights, are really lookin' pretty good!

The Medic
Wednesday, July 6th, 2011 AT 2:43 PM