ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS

1988 Chevrolet Camaro

allan chetty

June, 24, 2012 AT 5:58 PM

Hi my camaro 1988 has elec. Wiring problems. Wiring to starter
has now melted for the second time. Presently the thick pink wire has melted from under dash to the body junction & the same wire to coil has also melted.
quest: is the coil blown & can I use thicker gauge wires with inline fises to starter wires & what amp fuses.& Whats the cause. Is there a diy electrical wiring book for sale.I do have a manuel up to 1987 which doesn't quiet seem to match the 1988 models. Thanks

June, 24, 2012 AT 6:45 PM

Te fusible links at the starter should have protected those circuits as that is there job. You now have a harness that needs to replaced/repaired. Use the oem gauge, not any different.

I would like to know what has caused this issue? What was the reason for the first time? This is not a simple repair at this point

allan chetty

June, 25, 2012 AT 5:27 AM

Thanks ASEMASTERS WHAT IS oem gauge & this time wires melted under dash & the first time only starter wires melted, ta

June, 25, 2012 AT 11:32 PM

Can you take a picture and post it?

allan chetty

July, 3, 2012 AT 5:33 PM

I've stripped the dash to rewire, but I can't seem to find where the blue female plug with pink, red, black, brown wires & a black plug with red yellow, orange & black wires.I've plugged in the rest of the plugs under dash but just these these two I cant seem to locate to plug in can sombody please help, thanks

allan chetty

July, 3, 2012 AT 5:37 PM

Is there a website that shows under dash plug diagrams

Ignition Coil Replacement Ford Taurus
Ignition Coil System Test Repair - All Cars
Ignition System Test Guide