CRUISE CONTROL AND HORN

1986 Ford F-150

theblackcat

August, 9, 2013 AT 2:28 PM

The cruse control and horn do not work, nor does the tilt steering wheel. 1986 Small block V-8 Lariat XLT, Long bed, Manual Transmission (4 speed), 4 wheel drive
I would like to know if this is a common problem, and if so what could be the problem? The horn will work if hot wired to the battery. Every thing else is working but the A/C. Don't care about the A/C, just the horn and cruise control.

Wrenchtech

August, 9, 2013 AT 3:10 PM

Are the cruise control switches in the steering wheel?

theblackcat

August, 9, 2013 AT 3:51 PM

Yes the cruise control switches/buttons are in the steering wheel. The tilt wheel should work with the turn signal, and it does not, but I assume that the cruise control, horn and that are all some how connected.

Wrenchtech

August, 9, 2013 AT 4:03 PM

You likely have a bad Voltage supply brush in the steering column or it's related wiring. That is a rotating contact that provides uninterrupted power to everything on the steering wheel. If you had an airbag, that light would be on also.

In later models it's called a Clockspring and a lot more reliable.

.

theblackcat

August, 9, 2013 AT 4:09 PM

Thanks! Is it easy to fix and where exactly is it in the steering column? No airbags.

Wrenchtech

August, 9, 2013 AT 4:13 PM

Being that it's a tilt wheel, that makes it much more difficult and requires a few special tools. I wouldn't recommend trying this yourself. It has some real high power springs in there also.

Open Hood Video
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Dynamat Door Installation
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Honda Civic