THE TORQUE CONVERTER WILL ONLY LOCK-UP WHEN COLD.

• corsica95
  • 1985 Chevrolet Chevette

Hello. I've had the car for a while now and I noticed that the torque converter actually locks-up when cold, but not when hot. After driving a few minutes, it will stop locking up. Where should I start looking?

Thanks :)

Wednesday, June 20th, 2012 AT 2:34 PM

• racefan966

How do you know it is locking up? Does the car stall at stop signs? Get back to me and we will see where to go from here ok.

Wednesday, June 20th, 2012 AT 2:46 PM
  • corsica95

When I reach, and cruise, at about 40mph (when the car is cold) I feel like an "extra gear" engage. Once the car is hot, it won't do it anymore. Thanks for the answer

Wednesday, June 20th, 2012 AT 2:48 PM
  • racefan966

So it sounds like the lock up is working correcty when cold not when hot. Do you have a tach to watch the RPM? What I would like you to is get to place where you can do 45mph and then with out letting up on throttle ever so lightly touch the brake with the left foot. Just enough to turn on the brake lights but not enough to actually brake. Do this when it is hot and cold let me know if the RPM changes and about how much if you could. THanks

Wednesday, June 20th, 2012 AT 2:53 PM
  • corsica95

I "test drove" it this morning, so the car is still warm. I have no tach, but I'd say there's maybe a 100-300 rpm drop when it engages (I may be wrong) and if I step on the brake pedal a little while still pressing on the gas, I feel it disengage and the RPMs go up a little. When the car is warm nothing happends when I do that.

Wednesday, June 20th, 2012 AT 2:55 PM
  • corsica95

Okay, so I checked my Ported Vacuum Switch since I've had small problems with my EGR valve, timing and etc. Since I got the car, and it seems to be a 4 ports (arranged in a square) switch. On the internet, I can only find some 5 port switches and some 2-3 port switches. Is it possible that someone changed the whole switch/vacuums with the wrong ones?

Wednesday, June 20th, 2012 AT 4:22 PM
  • racefan966

Good the lock up is working. From what I can see the 4 port is a vacuum delay valve not a thermal vacuum switch, napa part number 2-927 or 2-29206. Check those numbers out on napaonline. Com and see if they look like what your seeing.

Thursday, June 21st, 2012 AT 1:32 AM
  • corsica95

The one on my car, next to the thermostat.

But I can't seem to find any for the Chevette. They all have 2-3 or 5 ports :S

Thursday, June 21st, 2012 AT 4:33 AM
  • racefan966

You will have to include the pic as the address you posted don't work for me. Thanks

Thursday, June 21st, 2012 AT 3:44 PM
  • corsica95

Here you go :)

Friday, June 22nd, 2012 AT 12:00 PM
  • racefan966

That is a thermal ported vacuum switch. Napa part number 229046.

Sunday, June 24th, 2012 AT 3:15 AM