CAR WILL NOT START OR EVEN TURN OVER

1985 Cadillac Deville

senseiande

July, 13, 2012 AT 6:53 PM

A while ago I went to start this car. I noticed that the headlights were becoming dimmer so I shut it down to re-start it. It would not turn over at all. I checked all the obvious; i.E. Battery/alternator and various electrical connections. The inside of the car powers many but not all of the dash lit components and I hear what sounds like a component running on the right side of the dash. I tried the diagnostic screen but there is no power to it. Also the fuel data control center shows an empty tank all the time except for immediately after filling up and all the other feature are obvious wrong (the data center has been tested and is fine). Do these problems sound like a body control or engine control module? I have not bench tested the starter yet because these additional issues lead me to believe that it is a module? What is the likely suspect and which should I check 1st?

Thank you for any and all help - this is getting frustrating and I do not wish to pull the starter if nothing is wrong with it.

Thanks again

Andrew

July, 13, 2012 AT 6:58 PM

Start with a bettery check. That would be the first place I would go. Without sufficient power, nothing will work.

senseiande

July, 13, 2012 AT 9:57 PM

The battery is brand new and has been checked for charge - it's fine.
The alternator has been bench tested and is in perfect working order.
I have not pulled the starter yet due to the weird electrical issues inside the vehicle. And is why I am now thinking it may be either the BCM or ECM module -?

July, 14, 2012 AT 12:22 AM

Dont go there yet. I would look at conections at the battery, starter, and the grounds at the block and the bell housing. It sounds like a power supply issue.

djcl

July, 14, 2012 AT 1:07 AM

There is a ground behind the ac compressor that has known problems.

cadieman

July, 14, 2012 AT 1:35 AM

Ck. The voltage at the starter. Hold the key in start position then tap the starter with a hammer will it start then?

cadieman

July, 14, 2012 AT 1:38 AM

Werid wiring?

cadieman

July, 14, 2012 AT 5:34 PM

You will have to replace the fuel tank unit for the flashing e.U need to us a volt meter to check where your losing power. Push off and warmer buttons on the a/c panel if it lights come on. Then write the codes down. If the a/c and fuel data centers are out it may be a bad bcm.

cadieman

July, 14, 2012 AT 10:01 PM

Forgot youll need to disconnect the fuel data display and see if the a/c panel lights if no plug it back in the fuel center and disconnect the a/c panel to see if the fuel center lights. If neither lights up replace the bcm.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement