LIVE IN AN AREA WITH WINTER 2030 DEGREES ...

1984 Toyota Tercel

Anonymous

January, 11, 2013 AT 5:35 AM

Live in an area with winter 20-30 degrees, recently moved here. My manual Tercel is having trouble when cold, shifting into gear. I will park in 2nd, though it happens even when parked in neutral, and when I have started it, I am unable to shift into gear. So far I have been able to either get it into 1st or 2nd with difficulty, and so am able to drive around slowly until the whole car is warmed up, I am assuming the transaxle as well since as it gets warmed it shifts easier, and then able to shift with difficulty into the other gears. Once that happens, it is easy to shift again as it was in a more temperate environment. I have replaced the transaxle fluid to a cold weather weight of 75w and it didn't help. Is there anything else that it could be that I need to look at?

Capacity - 2WD Models 3.5 qt (US)
Capacity - 4WD Models 4.1 qt (US)
Type API GL-5 80W-90

i would change it a couple of times to get the junk out of it. I bet that is the first time it has been changed.

Otherwise, you may just have to warm it up before moving. The syncros are what the issue is.

Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Automatic Transmission Service