DOES NOT STAY RUNNING

1984 Toyota Corolla

ao7777

July, 31, 2012 AT 1:31 AM

I have a 1984 Toyota Corolla, its been sitting for a long time and having trouble keeping it running. I did so much work on it and nothing seem to work, I changed the gas tank, fuel pump, rotor and cap, Carb, and put good clean gas. I did found a problem with that 10 amp Engine fuse in that black box on the fire wall in the driver side engine compartment and when I replace it it causes the engine to die and when I don't have it in it stays running. This car has a electrical problem because the battery wear's down after days of using the car. I put a new alternator and its still wearing down the battery. With the New Carb, I had a mech look at it and he did something to the Carb because its running on high idle and cannot bring it down and adjusting the choke does not do anything. I really, really need help on this one, It never had overheated or blew a head gasket. Timing is correct, I don't know.

July, 31, 2012 AT 2:14 AM

Start with basics. Compression, fuel pressure and spark.

New carb>> really new or used?

Tell us more about the fuse. What does not work when it is out

ao7777

July, 31, 2012 AT 10:03 PM

I have spark. I don't know about the fuel pressure and compression check, I don't have a compression and fuel pressure gage. The Carb is rebuilt and I have taken it back once about a screw that was loose under the Carb seat. And about the fuse, when it out the engine runs, everything works, but when a fuse is in the engine dies and the car is hard to start and cut off quickly when you start driving it. However, I still get that power drain after a while and you need to recharge the battery.

July, 31, 2012 AT 11:40 PM

What fuse or number in the fuse box?

ao7777

August, 1, 2012 AT 12:29 AM

Its a 10 amp fuse labeled ENGINE

ao7777

August, 1, 2012 AT 11:29 PM

That 10 amp fuse that is labeled: ENGINE, is in a black box where the fan relay switch, head lights and others in the engine compartment next to the battery bolted to the firewall (driverside) fender.

August, 26, 2012 AT 12:59 AM

Try disconnecting the alternator, replacing the fuse and see if it runs

ao7777

August, 26, 2012 AT 1:39 AM

Msg for Roy, Thx u. Roy, Question, What do I need to see or watch for if I disconnect the Alternator and putting a new fuse? What will happen? Let me know what to look for or looking for, thx u.

August, 30, 2012 AT 7:18 PM

If the alternator is pulling down the voltage to the ignition system, it will do this. Disconnect the fat wire and the little wire. Make sure the big wire is insulated and does not touch anything metal

ao7777

August, 31, 2012 AT 1:47 AM

Which fat wire? Which little wire? Are you talking about the 2 alternator wires? 1 wire is a plug with many wires to the plug and a small wire.

Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Replace Your Fuel Pump Relay - Easy Steps
Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8