WHEN DRIVING MY CAR MAKES A GRINDING NOISE

1984 Chevrolet Camaro

Z28BAB¥

March, 28, 2013 AT 11:23 PM

When driving my car makes a grinding noise. It sounds like it's coming from the center/ front underneath of the car right under the shifter console. It's an automatic. The grinding doesn't start until I put it in gear and accelerate. More or less if I don't have it in park or my brakes pushed with the car to a complete stop it is grinding. I can't figure out what it is. The scrapping grinding noise seems to speed up a little bit when I accelerate to a faster speed and seems to get softer when I brake and stops completely when I come to a complete stop. I don't think it's the transmission cause it has a shift kit in it and shifts really good. But I really don't know at this point.

mhpautos

March, 29, 2013 AT 12:26 AM

Sounds as if something touching a drive shaft, check this first.

Z28BAB¥

March, 29, 2013 AT 1:34 AM

Thank you for your reply. I was told it could be that or possibly a piece of metal on the inside. Another major concern of mine is the whole front underneath of my car is soaked constantly. I don't see any leaks however I did just replace the water pump last weekend and it was leaking out of the bottom of the weep hole. So maybe the moisture had came from that?

mhpautos

March, 29, 2013 AT 2:19 AM

Pressure test the cooling system to check for any external leaks next.

Z28BAB¥

March, 30, 2013 AT 12:28 AM

Ok thanks. I will get under it this weekend and have a look. I believe auto parts stores do free pressure checks. I've been watching fluids and checking for leaks and all seems good. Thank goodness. Thanks for the help.

Z28BAB¥

March, 30, 2013 AT 12:32 AM

Another question. My transmission dipstick will come out half way and then gets stuck. I'm wondering if there's any causes for this. And if you have any recommendations on how to get it out. I've wiggled and pulled the crap out of it and it won't budge. Just ends up moving the tube but never comes out. I'm not sure if its even the right stick or if it's just bent. I've had it out twice before today it was just being a pain. Any suggestions?

mhpautos

March, 30, 2013 AT 6:11 AM

I would say just bent, when you get it out check that is is not bent or twisted.

Z28BAB¥

April, 19, 2013 AT 9:24 PM

Sure thing, it was a bracket that holds my back brake lines up that had a bolt hanging down rubbing my drive train. Transmission dipstick comes out but you got to give it a real hard tug. It don't seem to be bent other than the natural z shape it was made with. Cooking system has no leaks. But the whole underneath was coated in dirt and oil. Kinda thinking I might have a bad valve cover gasket on the right side of engine seeing as the third spark plug wire back seems to have fresh oil on it. Does this sound bout right? I just don't understand how that could sling oil back all the way to the transmission pan. Kinda worried my oil pan might be part of the culprit because it looks like it's been scraped and dented in and forms a drip on the edge.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe