DID I FRY MY STARTER SOLENOID OR BLOW A FUSE?

  • Tiny
  • UnderTheRose
  • 1983 Ford Ranger

I was replacing the battery in my 1983 Ford Ranger truck and accidentally slipped and touched the metal body of the vehicle with the wrench while in contact with the Positive terminal of the battery. Needless to say it was a shocking experience.

The truck actually started before my klutzy move with the wrench. Now, it will not turn over at all, but I have the "key in ignition" warning buzzer if I try to start it. No sound of any attempted starting, no clicking, no other sound than the buzzer.

I have been told that I may have blown a fuse either in the cab or under the hood. I have found the fuses in the cab, but cannot see anything resembling fuses in the engine compartment.

I have a set of wires leading from the battery positive side to a small round black object that is bolted to the inside of the truck. Is that the starter solenoid and could I have fried that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Do you
have the same problem?
Yes
No
Wednesday, July 25th, 2012 AT 11:55 PM

1 Reply

  • Tiny
  • ASEMaster6371
  • Expert
  • 25,556 posts

You need to find the underhood fuse box, there should be a main fuse of about 100 amps or so. If your lucky, thats all that is wrong. It could be a lot more serious like harness damage.

Roy

Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Thursday, July 26th, 2012 AT 12:22 AM

Please login or register to post a reply.

Similar Questions