1982 CUTLASS 5.0

• Andronomous28
  • 1982 OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS

What causes gas to spray out out fuel pump. Theres an in and out plus another line not connected and thats where the gas is spraying out when engine is turned on. I think it may be a clogged fuel line to carburetor or the fuel filter

Tuesday, May 3rd, 2011 AT 6:29 AM

• Caradiodoc

If your pump has three lines, the third one is to send fuel and vapors back to the tank. There must be a hose connected to it. Look around the area to see if the hose pushed off and is hiding nearby.

Tuesday, May 3rd, 2011 AT 6:44 AM
  • Andronomous28

Thanks so much but it was never hooked up to anything before. But I will continue to look. I think it s called a vent line

Tuesday, May 3rd, 2011 AT 7:35 AM
  • Caradiodoc

Maybe there was a cap on it. Often, to reduce inventory, the rebuilder will make just a three-port pump that can be used in either application. If the third port is needed, it's there, and if it isn't used, that same pump can be used with the unneeded port capped off.

Look at the gas tank too if you can see where the hoses go in. There will be a larger diameter hose for the supply and a smaller one to take vapors to the charcoal canister. If the third hose on the pump IS used, there will be a third hose at the tank.

Tuesday, May 3rd, 2011 AT 10:27 PM
  • Andronomous28

Ok I will look into thAT

Wednesday, May 4th, 2011 AT 3:51 AM