On vehicles equipped with automatic transmission, block the wheels and place selector lever in "D" position.
1. Warm engine to normal operating temperature. Connect a tachometer, then connect timing light to leading (lower) spark plug of front rotor. Start engine and run at idle speed.
2. Aim timing light at timing indicator pin on front cover and check ignition timing. Rotate distributor to correct timing, if necessary. Tighten distributor lock nut and recheck timing.
3. Connect timing light to trailing (upper) plug of front rotor. Start engine and check timing. If not correct, loosen vacuum unit attaching screws. Move vacuum unit in or out to adjust trailing timing. Remove test equipment.
1. Switch off all accessories. Remove fuel filler cap. Disconnect and plug idle compensator tube at air cleaner. Connect tachometer to engine. Ensure parking brake is engaged and wheels are blocked.
2. On air conditioned models, make sure throttle opener does not keep throttle lever from returning to stop.
3. Warm engine to normal operating temperature. Place automatic transmission in "D". Check idle speed. Adjust curb idle speed to specification by turning throttle adjusting screw.
Images (click to enlarge)
Friday, November 30th, 2012 AT 2:03 PM