1981 MERCEDES BENZ 300SD TRANSMISSION AND VACUUM PUMP QUESTION

• 2CarPros-Archives
  • 1981 Mercedes Benz 300sd
  • automatic

1981 Mercedes Benz 300SD mileage: 220,000. I want to change the transmission filter and pan gasket. Because of the mileage and I'm not sure when or if the prior owner changed fluid. I am afraid to have fluid replaced. Present fluid is clear and unburned, should I change it or will someone just change filter and gasket. Second question, vacuum motor in trunk that runs door locks and gas cap cover, quits after about two weeks. If I pull out, disconnect, and then connect three-prong electrical connector, it works for another two weeks. However, I believe that if I disconnect the vacuum line to the motor, it works for unlimited period.

Monday, November 22nd, 2010 AT 6:59 PM

• 2CarPros-Archives

If in doubt, change the transmission filter and gasket and at the same time replace the fluid in the pan. With the transmission pan down, inspect for metallic particles. A slight amount is normal. About your vacuum motor problem, a cracked and leaking vacuum hose probably causes this. Locating and repairing the hoses should fix the problem.

Monday, November 22nd, 2010 AT 7:02 PM