ENGINE DIES AND THEN WON'T RESTART

1979 Lincoln Continental

skagg1207

October, 24, 2011 AT 12:45 AM

Ok, old school problem. 1979 Lincoln Continental Town Car, starts and runs fine. After approximately 10 minutes or so it dies and wont restart. The engine turns over and I have gas at the carb. I get intermittent spark at the coil. The engine turns over and I have gas at the carb. I get intermittent spark at the coil. I have replaced the coil and condenser, cap and rotor, new plugs and wires.

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

October, 26, 2011 AT 5:30 AM

Check the primary ignition resistance/wire back to the ignition switch and also test the ignition switch-double check the point gap or use a dwell meter to angle it

Jacobandnickolas

October, 27, 2011 AT 3:23 AM

Does this vehicle still have the large ignition module under the hood? Aprox size 5"x 5".

October, 27, 2011 AT 8:57 AM

Oops! Sorry its an electronic distributor-Joe I think its the dura spark system

Jacobandnickolas

October, 27, 2011 AT 6:21 PM

I believe that is correct. The interesting thing with these modules is they would start going bad after the engine would get hot. Then they would break down and the engine would die. The final stage is what is described here.