ENGINE SHUTS DOWN WHEN UP AT OPERATING TEMP. AND ONLY WHILE DRIVING.

1978 Toyota Landcruiser

NE78FJ40

June, 18, 2012 AT 2:46 AM

This vehicle sat for 3 years. Drained fuel tank and cranked engine to get rid of old gas in fuel line. I had the carb rebuilt and finally got it to run. Went out to drive and engine shutdown. Replaced the fuel filter 2 times. Inspected the inside of the fuel tank - looks clean. Added new gas. Checked and adjusted the timing. It will only shutdown while driving and at operating temp. It will not shutdown when parked in the garage with the RPM increased. Drives fine when engine is cold. Idles fine.

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

June, 18, 2012 AT 3:18 AM

EXPLAIN HOW IT DIES

INSTANT OR PROLONGED DEATH?

HAVE YOU CHECKED FOR SPARK WHILE DEAD?

WHILE DEAD, WHAT DOES A SHOT OF STARTER FLUID DO WHEN SQUIRTED INTO CARB?

NE78FJ40

June, 18, 2012 AT 2:45 PM

When it dies, if I'm at idle, its like it just shuts off instantly. When I'm pushing the trottle pedal, I chugs alittle and then dies. I'll push in the clutch and coast to park somewhere. While I am coasting, I can pull the choke a 1/4 of the way out and turn the key and it will start right back up. I have not checked for spark while dead, because I'm always out on the road. I can't get it to die in the garage.

NE78FJ40

June, 18, 2012 AT 2:48 PM

I did a total restoration on this vehicle. Finished it about 5 years ago. When it was parked in the garage, it was running perfect, no problems.

June, 18, 2012 AT 4:38 PM

THIS IS FROM THIS SITE BEFORE IT WAS "REMODELED"

"QUOTE" AND OTHER THINGS DID NOT TRANSLATE OVER WELL...I THINK YOU WILL STILL BE ABLE TO READ IT

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/jeep-wrangler-1988-jeep-wrangler-engine-issues-when-braking

THIS TECHNIQUE WILL ALLOW THE CARB TO "S.UCK" IT'S INTERNAL PASSAGES CLEAN/ CLEAR

INSURE ALL NUTS AND BOLTS ON THE CARB/ HOLDING IT DOWN/ INTAKE MANIFOLD ARE STILL TIGHT

IF YOU ARE UNSURE ON CHECKING YOUR ADVANCES/ TIMING YOUR ENGINE/ OR EVEN ADJUSTING THE CARB MIX SCREWS, IDLE ADJUSTMENTS----MAYBE I CAN SHOW YOU WITH MY JEEPS AND YOU SORTA TRANSLATE IT OVER TO YOUR RIG

IN FACT, I'VE HELPED SO MANY CJs WITH THIS, I CAN PROBABLY JUST LINK YOU TO ANOTHER POST OR TWO I HAVE ANSWERED

KEEP US POSTED

NE78FJ40

June, 23, 2012 AT 3:12 AM

So I tried the cover over the carb thing. The problem is still there. When I was driving it today, in 3rd gear, when I was pressing the gas pedal, it was like it was loosing power. Kind of making the vehicle chug back and forth.

June, 23, 2012 AT 8:22 PM

WITH THE CHOKE AIDING THE RUNNING PROCESS

MAYBE YOU ARE STARVING FOR FUEL?

FLOAT STICKING?

FUEL FILTER?

STOPPED UP SOCK IN FUEL TANK?

WHAT ABOUT "JUGGING IT".I'M, GUESSING YOU HAVE A MECHANICAL FUEL PUMP.

SNATCH THE TANK LINE OFF OF THE PUMP, PLUG THE TANK LINE.

INSTALL A 2-4 FOOT PIECE OF FUEL LINE ON THE PUMP.

THROW THE NEW SHORT LINE INTO A "JUG" OF FUEL, TETHER THE FUEL LINE SO IT DON'T PULL OUT.

TIE "MR. JUG" ON TO YOUR RIG SO IT WILL RIDE.

TAKE IT FOR A RIDE THIS TEST WILL "RULE OUT"."OR IN", PROBLEMS IN THE TANK. COST IS LITTLE TO NOTHING!