WHY WONT MY CAR START?

1978 Chevrolet Nova

amberanderson

August, 22, 2012 AT 10:27 PM

I turned the key and it turn over but not start, tried again and wouldnt even turn over no click, buzz, nothing. But I do still have dash lights

caradiodoc

August, 23, 2012 AT 12:04 AM

Start by checking the battery cable connections to be sure they're clean and tight. Use an inexpensive digital voltmeter to measure the battery voltage. If it's below 12.6, charge it at a slow rate for an hour, then see what the voltage is.

amberanderson

August, 23, 2012 AT 1:12 AM

Had a freind check it out the battery checked out good and he even checked the starter which can be kicked over under the hood, but the car can still not be kicked over inside the car still no click or buzz jus silence.

caradiodoc

August, 23, 2012 AT 3:44 AM

In that case I would suspect the neutral safety switch if you have an automatic transmission or the clutch switch if you have a manual transmission and that switch is used.

amberanderson

August, 23, 2012 AT 5:09 AM

My 78 Nova is an automatic. What exactly is a nuetral safety switch? I dont know alot about cars but I have never heard of that. Is it like an ignition switch?

caradiodoc

August, 23, 2012 AT 5:42 AM

That's the switch that prevents you from starting the engine when the transmission is in reverse or drive. It will only start in park or neutral.

amberanderson

August, 23, 2012 AT 6:04 AM

The car is in park tho.

amberanderson

August, 23, 2012 AT 6:11 AM

Nevermind sorry I get what your saying! Thanks so much for your help!

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Pressure Test