STARTED TO HOLD BACK AND LOSE COMPRESSION

1978 Cadillac Seville

Toni Stitt

July, 1, 2012 AT 9:46 PM

I have a 1978 Cadillac Seville in mint condition interior and exterior, but it has set for over 3 years. I purchased it, and it seemed to be a dream.

My car started to cut back and lose compression as if it needed a tune up so I had a mechanic on wheels to change the spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor button. It seemed to do well for a while, but after e changed it and my husband and I went out to test drive it, the headlights went ad they don'ek on low or high beam and now it's cutt backing and losing compression again, but it only happens when the car gets hot and today it bck fired.

Please help.

July, 2, 2012 AT 1:57 AM

I believe this is an early model fuel injected. These systems were very troublesome. There are different sensors for all kinds of systems. You need to find a seasoned tech who is familiar with these old systems.

cadieman

July, 4, 2012 AT 2:56 AM

Ck the fuel pressure. Check the fuel in the tank. The carb maybe varnished. This is a car that sat a long time. Looks good but your gonna need to replace almost all the parts that deal with fluid

Engine Cylinder Compression Test - All Cars
Replacing Head Gasket
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet